I THINK I Want The LapBand.. Need Help?

boomercd
on 1/12/11 4:36 am - OH
bottom line everyone makes decisions based on their own needs, and what is right for us, after all we are the ones who must live with the choices that we make,I choose the band because it is right for me, Ill live with my choice, Im excited, but scared too, This form has given me a place to get the good the bad, and yes the ugly, it has given me the tools to make an informed decision. thank you All for that, Im looking forward to taking this journey.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

Lynn C
on 1/12/11 5:40 am
as a former banster I also cannot recommend the band to anyone. It has the worst stats - lowest loss, highest regain, highest complication and re-operation rate. If you're only looking at restriction you should research the sleeve. There are lots of medical studies posted on my blog if you are interested. http://lapbandtovsg.blogspot.com/p/studies.html

good luck with your choice!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 1/12/11 8:04 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Hi Erica,
Welcome to the board.   I would recommend doing your research on all the different surgeries before make you mind up on which one is the right on for you.
I've only been banded for 14 month and I can say it was the best decision I every made. I didn't want anything that couldn't be reverses if something happened with my health.  I now that if I had something that would help me with my with the amount of food, I could make the healthy food choices.  The band has work better than I had every that it would.    Good luck with your research.  Take the time to read all the post and you will get a better idea how the band work for so many of us. 
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

carol468
on 1/12/11 8:25 am
Hey Erica,

I live in middle GA.  I'm going to have the lap band.  My insurance is not going to pay for it, so i choose it because it cost less than the other surgeries, plus it didn't seem quit as scary.... I hope i'm making the right decisions.  I've got about 80 lbs to loose.  My doctor did say that it was critical that i excercise, and I hate to excersise, but I guess i'll have to join curves or something.  Good luck to you. I've got to schedule an EKG and stress test one day next week.  I think my doctors office has been closed because of the snow and ice.... 
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/12/11 10:30 am - Mexico
On January 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, carol468 wrote:
Hey Erica,

I live in middle GA.  I'm going to have the lap band.  My insurance is not going to pay for it, so i choose it because it cost less than the other surgeries, plus it didn't seem quit as scary.... I hope i'm making the right decisions.  I've got about 80 lbs to loose.  My doctor did say that it was critical that i excercise, and I hate to excersise, but I guess i'll have to join curves or something.  Good luck to you. I've got to schedule an EKG and stress test one day next week.  I think my doctors office has been closed because of the snow and ice.... 

Ohhhh, please rethink this.  Banding is one of the MOST expensive surgeries long term.  Remember, 25% have to have it removed in the first 5 years and another 25% need to have a second surgery to fix a mechanical problem in the first 5 years.  The maintenance long term is extremely expensive.  The 2nd surgeries to fix something or remove it are also self pay.

Please don't get a band unless you can easily afford a 2nd surgery.  If you want the least expensive that is a sleeve... I'm talking long term.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 8:32 am - Des Moines, IA
Hi Erica,
For ME, the band was the best choice. I'm happy with my journey and the weight loss.  It's a lot of hard work and if I wanted I could sit and eat cookies and ice cream and junk ( sliders) but I choose not to.  Dealing with head hunger is always going to be a challenge for me.  I believe there is no wrong or right surgery, you have to decide what is best for you.
bgrandmabear
on 1/12/11 10:47 am
the only operation that does not require my stomach or intestines to be cut and/or resected and/or removed. And FOR ME, it was the perfect decision.
Most Active