Just a friendly warning: band vs. chewing gum

pitablond
on 3/23/11 5:24 am - Harrisburg, PA
I am rarely on here anymore and I apologize. Amazing how life changes! 

Anyways, my cousin had something happen over the weekend and I thought it was OH worthy. She had band surgery in August and has been doing really well.  Over the weekend she had been goofing around and swallowed her gum.  It was an "oh ****" kind of moment.  She felt it there but wasn't really "stuck".   She hasn't been able to keep any food down and is at our clinic to possibly have a complete unfill just to get it down.  

Just thought I would share because I don't remember them telling me to stay away from it.  Hope everyone is doing well!

~*Ashley*~ Highest weight: 330ish   Current weight: 198

NJDizzybee
on 3/23/11 5:39 am - Riverside Township, NJ

Wow - that's terrible.  During my initial seminar, the Moderator did stress that anyone having Lap Band could never have gum again - because it acts as a plug.  Anything gummy or that type of texture, gummy bears, marshmellows, JuJuBees.  They also stressed no carbonated beverages. 

I hope your cousin has a fast and painless recovery!

Kate -True Brit
on 3/23/11 5:43 am - UK

I have always thought this was a danger! I did once post my thoughts in response to a  Q about it but was told by everyone who also posted that they were grown up and past swallowing gum so they would be OK!!! I think they thought I was a scaremonger! I just thought it was a risk not worth taking - but I am not a gum chewer myself.

Hope your cousin gets this sorted! My best wishes for her.

But how nice to see you back again - how are things with you?

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

pitablond
on 3/23/11 5:55 am - Harrisburg, PA
I blamed it on her being just plain goofy but anything could happen! 

I am doing well.  We have had quite a big of death and illess in our family this year already although my health is getting better.  I am finally off of those darn steroids.  My body just doesn't want to see 199 but I am maintaining and that is what I care about.  Even when I was at my highest, I still loved myself so it has been really hard pushing myself to lose more. I just figure that I will get there eventually!

Your avatar pic is fabulous!

Kate -True Brit
on 3/23/11 6:52 am - UK

Down 104 seems pretty impressive to me!! Sorry to hear about your "bad" year. Hope things are getting better for all your family.  Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Stephanie M.
on 3/23/11 6:07 am
To quote my doctor's PA, "I cannot stress this enough, NO GUM! Not ever, because we will have to remove all your saline and if that doesn't work, do an endoscopy to remove it because it can cover your stoma and prevent ANYTHING from going through."  That was all I needed to hear!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

pitablond
on 3/23/11 6:17 am - Harrisburg, PA
Yikes!  I do love our doctors and surgeon but now, after almost 2 years, I realize that they really didn't educate patients like they should have. 

mommieof3kidz
on 3/23/11 6:42 am - Coos Bay, OR
Oh no!! Sorry to hear that and I hope all goes well. My Dr. told me I could chew all the gum I wanted BUT NEVER EVER Swallow it as there would be consequences I wouldn't like!

TANYA 
Banded - 02/17/2011 * HW - 210 * BW - 207 * CW - 135 * GW - 130 (happy where I am)
NO Pre-Op Diet - ALL Weight Lost Has Been Since WLS!!!
NO Fills Given - Working With An EMPTY Band * Updated 02/19/2012
BA - 12/16/2011 - Large A to DD's :)

Kelly B.
on 3/23/11 12:24 pm
I was also told by my surgeon that chewing gum pushes air down into the pouch which can make it uncomfortable/painful.  Same with the carbonated drinks.
Born Lucky
on 3/23/11 1:23 pm, edited 3/23/11 1:27 pm
 I have a funny story to share about swallowing gum.  My daughter and I visited Universal Studios last week.  We went to an "audience participation" show, called "Disaster".  They pulled us into a screening room, and explained what was going on, and asked for volunteers to participate.  I am soooo *not* a volunteer type, but no one else stuck up their hand, and I met the criteria, so up went the hand.  It was one of those things where they film you with a "green screen", and then add the rest of the visuals later.  I was put into a ball pit of green balls.  On my cue, I was supposed to scream in fear (in the later "added" version, I was in water).  They had me do it the first time, a second time, and then they said, "Now pretend your daughter is Lady Gaga".  I tossed back my head and screamed, "Oh, God, NO!"  Everyone laughed, but I SWALLOWED MY GUM, and was petrified.  I didn't say anything to "Lady Gaga" until I tried it out, and found I was fine.  But, until I ate and drank, I was sure that an emergency trip to the ER was in my immediate future, or at the very least, we'd be high-tailing it home to see the doc.  

This is one time when my guardian angel has my back.  Because of an ulcer, I am completely unfilled.  And this is the only time in 4.5 years that I have swallowed gum.  It was a valuable lesson, and one I won't forget.  

Tami

ETA:  I would have never, ever, participated in something like this pre-band, so gum or not, I LOVE my band.  
 273/150/158
"All things are possible when you find and believe in your own personal strength."
Formerly "TamiFromAL"; 4cc band, unfilled
Most Active