To tell or Not to tell???

MsTonya610
on 4/10/11 7:46 am - MI
I understand that having WLS is a personal choose for each and every one of us and to share that with people in your life is also a personal choose. However it really burns me I hear people either deny that they have had WLS or say that they just went on a diet and exercised. THAT"S NOT TRUE!!!! It burned me when Star Jones did it and you can see it burned a couple others as well. I just feel that we have all been blessed with such an amazing weight loss tool you should be proud of it and yourself. I refer to my band as a tool the same as my car and a screw driver. I asked someone if how they got to work and they told me they walked, but they really drove their car that person would be considered a lair.  

I am not saying you have to scream from roof tops that you have been banded, i'm just saying don't lie about it.   The reality as I see it is that if we could all do it without WLS and it is simply just diet and exercise, then why did we even have surgery?    We all know that WLS is not they easy way out we all still have to work hard to lose weight, but it is easier than all the times I have tried to do it on my own. I don’t mean to come off mean or harsh in anyway toward those who choose not to say they have had WLS. I just feel passionately that not tell the whole truth sets other up to believe that they are weak or unsuccessful when they can’t achieve the type of results you have with trying to simply diet and exercise. I know from personal experience from a person telling me that they had only changed their diet and begin exercising and comparing myself to them trying to figure out why I wasn’t getting the same or similar results.

So for the record my name is Tonya and I have lost 119 lbs because I got band and I am so very PROUD of it!!!!!  End of Rant LOL

Learning to Work the Gift I was Blessed With...

cristie2000
on 4/10/11 7:56 am
 I agree with you, but I also see the other side.  I have people who put me down for getting it when I have told them I am getting the band.  Sometimes it is better for my self-esteem not to tell people.  Like I said in another post, I have fun with this whole situation.  When some of the nosy people I work with ask what I am getting surgery for I tell them breast implants.  It makes them feel uncomfortable for asking and it makes me laugh.  There are some I do not feel it is any of their business.  They would be the first people there making negative comments when I am not losing enough weight.  Therefore, for my sanity and self-esteem, I am not going to tell them what I am doing.  However, I see why I shouldn't lie about it.  The truth of the matter is, I can't control what I eat and need a tool to help me.  Why should I be ashamed and not tell people that I am getting WLS?  I do not know the answer to that.....
crystal M.
on 4/10/11 8:01 am, edited 4/10/11 8:03 am - Joliet, IL
I have told everyone in my lifeI have had band surgery but at this point (unless the person is over weight themselves and I think they may benefit from the info) I just tell people I exercise a lot.....which is true.

I just don't feel the need to tell the lady at the laundromat or the security guard where I work my personal business.  It's not that I'm ashamed that I had the surgery I just don't see it's their business.  I'm not ashamed that I take craps but I'm not going to tell everyone exactly how many I take every week....hahahaha   
jennylew
on 4/10/11 8:14 am - Hill AFB, UT
 Thanks for not sharing how many craps you take every week! Thanks for making this website SO MUCH FUN AND INTERESTING!!!

Jen-

Starting weight- 265     Goal weight- 165-145 
marl16
on 4/10/11 9:25 am - NJ
LOL LOL!!!!!!!! 

jennylew
on 4/10/11 8:10 am - Hill AFB, UT
I feel that telling others whether or not you've had WLS is a personal thing. At the same time, how are others out there going to become familiar with and accept this method of weight loss unless people like us who have had it don't open up and share it with the world? Then it won't be considered "taboo" like it is now. These procedures are designed to help people with a dangerous disease (obesity) live longer, stronger, and healthier lives. No different then any other device or procedure used to save others from other diseases- (Heart issues, cancer, organ transplants, etc.) People are so worried about what others will think of them or how they will be judged for having WLS, at the same time, they may keep it to themselves for many other reasons. So, again, I think it's up to each individual for themselves to decide who and when they "come out." I pick and choose whom I tell. I usually share it, but there have been times where I was in a hurry, or just didn't want to get into a big discussion about it. Like you, I am proud of my band as well, and everyone I've told was proud of me and usually ask questions (unless they were judging me behind my back.) Just my two cents .

Jen-

Bette B.
on 4/10/11 8:14 am
 I told EVERYBODY. I really didn't give a rat's ass what they thought. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

jennylew
on 4/10/11 8:17 am - Hill AFB, UT
Well said and good for you Bette!

Jen-

Bette B.
on 4/10/11 8:37 am
 Thanks. There are very few people who "get a vote in my life". 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

MsTonya610
on 4/10/11 10:39 am - MI
I love it LOL!!!!!!!!!  I really think people get caught up way to much in with others think.  It doesn't bother me in the less bit to say I could lose wieght and keep it off on my own.  Will power alone was not cutting it for me so I got help in the form of WLS...

Learning to Work the Gift I was Blessed With...

Most Active