I think I can finally tell the difference between hungry and thirsy

Thundergrrrl
on 6/19/11 1:59 am
I know this sounds silly and I'm more than a year post-op and 75% to my goal weight but I think I just learned something new yesterday.

For me, thirsty is a sensation that originates in my mouth while hungry is a sensation from my stomach or other parts of my body (that general empty feeling.) I never could quite put words to it before but just had an "a-HA" moment yesterday.

So how do you tell the difference? Is it the same for anyone else? 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

kathkeb
on 6/19/11 2:01 am
It is still a little tricky for me --- so, I try to just drink something any time I think that I am hungry ---

Since I am not supposed to drink for 45 - 60 minutes after eating, I figure I better get some fluids BEFORE I eat also ----- so, when hunger hits, I drink first.

Good job on 'listening to your body' ----
Kath

Lisaizme
on 6/19/11 3:46 am - TX
I'm with Kath, I'm not sure I can always tell a difference.  I mean, obviously if it's really hot out or if I've been working out, yeah I'm thirsty.   But if it's been only 2 hours since breakfast and my stomach thinks it's hungry.. well I give it 16 oz of water and usually that satisfies it till lunch time.

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Most Active