sometimes restriction sometimes none???

AmberF
on 9/9/11 8:05 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12

I have been banded a little over a year, and I was just wondering if anyone could explain this. Sometimes I feel restriction and sometimes I feel none. Sometimes I can eat a few bites and feel definate restriction, but there are day when it feels wide open. When I dont feel any restriction I get a little worried like something might be wrong. I have not seen my surgeon in about 6 plus months ( I have an appointment on the 13th) I havent really been doing what I am suppose to be doing, not eating the right things not following the rules. However for the past 2 weeks I have been working on it and made my appointment to get back on track Im just worried that I may have messed something up. Its scary having a forign object in you.

JULIA_D
on 9/9/11 10:14 am

Hi Amber. I think this is very common with the band. I have several friends that tell me the same thing. Are you having any pain or vomiting?

AmberF
on 9/9/11 11:16 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12

no vomiting, sometimes I do have a little bit of a sore,ache feeling I guess where maybe my band would be.

Hislady
on 9/9/11 12:24 pm - Vancouver, WA
Relax hon this (unfortunately) is very common. Many of us have found this to be our normal and it makes it very hard to be successful when it is this way because we basically have to stick with just dieting. I know I was told I wouldn't really have to diet because my band would tell me when to stop, well not so much. If fact my last visit to my surgeons office she said up to 1/4 of their patients have this issue and usually end up revising because of it. You most likely haven't hurt anything but this will probably make your journey more difficult and you will have to count more on yourself than the band. Best of luck to you!
MARIA F.
on 9/9/11 5:01 pm - Athens, GA

That is extremely common! Now as far as me, I knew that the band could be tighter in the morning. However I assumed that it would work as advertised and I would have adequate restriction the rest of the time. Did NOT work out that way! :-( There are often mornings that I my band is tighter. The the rest of the time I could usually eat anything and everything! That is something Allergan and Realize seem to leave out in their advertisements!

FormerlyFluffy.com

BuckeyeGirl
on 9/9/11 9:28 pm - TN

I had this with my band as well. Some days I would have definite restriction while other days it was wide open and I could eat everything under the sun. Mine would even vary within the same day. I usually couldn't eat solid food in the morning, but would be fine by lunch.

I don't think you have messed anything up, I think it is the nature of the band, but definitely go check in with your surgeon to be sure.

Best of luck,
Lindsey

j_j_miller
on 9/10/11 2:47 am
 Mine is exactly the same. I am usually tight in the morning, so I am used to that. I usually just have a coffee drink. But other days I am really tight and sometimes no restriction at all. Its funny because until I have my first couple bites I have no idea which way its gonna be. I will go to a restauraunt and order lots of food then once I start to eat I realize I am tight. LOL I usually can eat alot, but I have to go really really slow. Like take a bite then wait a minute. ect... I usually play on my phone or pretend I am texting someone because every time the waiter walks by I am not eating. But after a little time goes by I think it loosens up a bit. I like it this way because when I go on my cheating sprees its nice to be able to eat things I crave, but then it keeps me in check because even if I wanted to cheat more it stops me from eating quite as much. Something I also notice is when my pants are tight my band is tighter. I never really noticed anyway mentioning it but its a easy way for me to control how my band is gonna act. If I want to eat more I unbutton my pants, but if I want to be full and be done I keep them tight. Kinda weird but finally figured that one out, at least for me
AmberF
on 9/10/11 6:49 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Thanks everyone for the replies! Mine is the same most morining its super tight and sometimes still a little tight at lunch. Most times by dinner I have no problem eating (thats where self control has to come into play, but its hard when I havent really had anything for lunch or breakfast) There are times when I go out to dinner and can eat a whole meal (even though I know I shouldnt, Im working on it) but other times I have two bites and know Im not going to be able to eat, which can sometimes be a little akward when the waiters make comments like why arent you eating is everything ok....but oh well. I have been trying for the past few weeks, but its been hard its like with lapband you are on a permanant diet and if your not having the restriction its just like before the surgery. Maybe Im not tight enough yet....
Donna226
on 9/10/11 3:51 pm
STRESS! It's been a major killer for me. I basically had to have very little in my band because I'm a very stressful person and everytime something happens my band gets tighter to the point of not being able to eat anything but slider foods. Kinda defeats the point. So I think I have 1.5cc's right now and even then have difficulties.

Julia_N
on 9/13/11 10:13 am - Diamond Bar, CA
Lap Band on 07/31/09 with
I have different levels of restriction, too. I find real problems when I'm at a restaurant. I often can't eat more than a few bites, so I bag it up and take it home. At home, I can eat with no problem.

Julia -- I'm banded!  TheJuliaNelson.wordpress.com
My will power's great. The won't power needs work!
Preop diet started 9/29/08; lost 44.9 pounds. Surgery done 7/31/09! 

Most Active