Only 21 lbs in 10 months.........

wbell
on 12/23/11 6:55 am
I have to admit that I get on here and read, but have not posted nor have I been a faithful member. I had my lapband Feb. 2011. That was ten months ago. I started out so great. I lost 26 pounds in three months and along with a trainer, lost 18 inches.

I was feeling great. Then I hit a stall. I have had about 8 fills in my 10cc band. My doctor says that I have 9cc in my 10cc band. I gained five pounds over the past six months.

Yes, I cheat. I am an emotional eater and so I start my grazing when I get upset over anything. My latest cheating food has been Chex mix with M&Ms. At first, I didn't add the M&Ms, then of course, afterall, it is Christmas, right??????  Duh!

I started going to a counselor about a month ago who specializes in addictions. No big breakthroughs yet.

I keep reading about "sweet spots" that lapbanders reach. I can still eat just about anything I want except dry meat like chicken breast. I can only eat it if I put it in a salad or on a sandwich with mayo. Otherwise, I have extreme pain.

I know that I am eating about half of what I used to eat at a meal. I continue to work out about twice a week at the gym and walk most days. Any suggestions would be helpful.
MARIA F.
on 12/23/11 8:06 am - Athens, GA

The best suggestion I can give u is get the damn thing out and revise if possible! Cause u know what? That "sweet spot" does NOT exist for large % of bandsters! I gave up after 15 months and 16 fills. It's been a complete waste of time and money.

Now u will get the band cheerleaders on here telling u give it another chance............"if works if YOU work it"..............blah, blah, blah. Well the band works for SOME. It does NOT work for MOST long term.

Hope you are one of the LUCKY ones!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

wbell
on 12/23/11 8:16 am
Revise to what? It appears on your profile that you have lost weight....lots of it. What did you do?
MARIA F.
on 12/23/11 11:07 am - Athens, GA
On December 23, 2011 at 4:16 PM Pacific Time, wbell wrote:
Revise to what? It appears on your profile that you have lost weight....lots of it. What did you do?

I starved myself. Is that what u want to do??? I know I did NOT pay 15,000 to lose weight ONLY by being hungry all the time. I was stupid enough to believe those Allergan ads. U know..........the B.S. about "get full sooner, stay full longer". NEVER happened. I would revise to VSG or RNY if I could.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Hislady
on 12/23/11 9:28 am - Vancouver, WA
Hon if you have any type of food addiction the band can only work so much. I only lost 40 lbs with my band and that was the first year and I've since gained back 20 so my band was a bust. My biggest issue is not being able to exercise because of lung disease so I never should have had a band in the first place! It's good that you are addressing the addiction part of your issue, it may take a while to figure that all out because these theings are complicated and very ingrained. Just please know you aren't the only one to not have a sweet spot, I never did either. Plus I always had hunger, the band did absolutely nothing for my hunger even tho my surgeon swore it would. As a matter of fact my surgeons group doesn't even like to do bands anymore because they cause so many problems later down the road. You may need to up your gym time, most who lose alot spend at least 4 days working out heavily. It takes just as much work as if you aren't banded to succeed. I hope others can give you more ideas.
Nikia S.
on 12/25/11 11:51 am - Garland, TX
Well,you sound almost just like me. Quick review of my journey. Had lapband in 05' they thought it was 4cc so they crept up slowly on fills and in the process the physican assistant accidently poked a hole in my tubing. I had lost 55 lb but I was eating right and working out daily then all of a sudden no restriction at all except dry foods like bread and chicken breast. The doctor confirmed a leak and revised my surgery and placed in another tubing and in the process found out I had a 10 cc band. He filled it up to like 6.5 cc during surgery. The whole thing was never the same again. I have since then gained all the weight back and I could not stand the band. I just had it removed Nov 25th along with my gallbladder. I am going back to get RNY in the fall. The doc told me this would be much better for me and my eating habits.

Nikia S. ~~My not yet is way better than my right now~~
HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

lorifog
on 1/2/12 10:09 am - West Ilsip, NY
I'm sorry that so many have been experiencing problems but I'm glad to hear that i am not the only one.  I worked the band for a year and lost 50 pounds the first 6 months and nothing after...got frustrated and started not following the rules.  Plus, all the healthy foods get stuck and the crap slides right in.  Now I'm reading about adhesions with the band and all sorts of stuff....It making me think of having it taken out.
Most Active