Making my food go down???

AmberF
on 1/2/12 3:02 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow I havent really found restriction yet it has been almost two years. I think I have maybe figured out why but dont know how to explain it to my Dr. so I was wondering if anyone has ever felt this or knows whats going on. So I take a few bits and sometimes I will feel like the food stops where I think the band is and for a few minutes I cant eat another bite. But I do this thing where I like tighten my stomach muscle and release it and I actually feel the food go down sometimes it will happen when I lean forward and tighten my stomach and then I can feel it slide down and I can keep eating. I feel like I am cheating myself but its almost like I cant help it I feel that feeling of something stopping and I starting wiggling around until it goes down. Should I be feeling this? Should I be able to this? What the heck is going on? Is it not tight enough???
Jean M.
on 1/3/12 5:13 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I've never heard of that one before and will be interested to hear what your surgeon has to say about it.

When you say you tighten your stomach muscle, do you mean your abdominal muscles? I kind of doubt that your abdominal muscles can affect your stomach, but I can see how changing your body position by leaning over might help the food go down...or maybe it was about ready to go down anyway.

Your band may not be "tight" enough, but I wouldn't rush into another fill until you and your surgeon figure out what's really going on. It almost sounds like you have what we call First Bite Syndrome, where the first few bites are uncomfortable, but afterwards you can go on eating, but the other thing going on could be that you're actually too tight, or you're taking bites that are too big and/or not chewing them well enough. I know, I know...it's complicated...it could be a combination of all those things.

Good luck, and let us know what the doc says.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

AmberF
on 1/3/12 1:30 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Went in today and my surgeon said he didnt think I was tight enough and gave me a fill. What is this first bite syndrome because boy does that sound like me! the first few bites are uncomfortable but after they go down its like the gates are open! Does this go away? Is it only like if your not tight enough?
Most Active