First Year Bandaversary

wbell
on 2/1/12 9:35 pm, edited 2/1/12 9:40 pm
A year has flown by and today is finally here. No fireworks, no rockets going off.....just me and the scales. And I'm sadly disappointed that one year later after all the struggles and healing, I am only down 21 pounds. BUT..............

I refuse to give up on this. It was too hard and too expensive a journey to just toss it like another "diet" plan.

I have an appointment with my nutritonist tomorrow. I haven't seen her since before my surgery. It would have been helpful to me (someone who needs accountability) to have been able to see her  monthly. Duh, why didn't I ask? I am the Queen of telling people that you have to A-S-K to G-E-T.

If you reply, please do so with positive solutions. I don't want to read anymore negatives. I'm trying to change my focus!! Wynell
Bexie
on 2/1/12 9:43 pm - MO
Do you keep a food journal. You are right that being accountable will help you, even if that accountability is only to yourself (writing it all on paper makes it real).
Ready For A Change
wbell
on 2/2/12 2:07 am
Thanks, Bexie,

I started a food journal and regular journal on the back of each day to try to anaylyze what was good or what was bad about my eating for that day. Yep, it was pretty scary on paper!!!
coachgrrl
on 2/1/12 10:25 pm, edited 2/1/12 10:25 pm
 Wait, You haven't seen your surgeon since before surgery?

Have you had any fills?  Do you have any restriction?  
Do you follow the rules?

I'm happy to hear you have your appointments set up.  If you don't have restritionc your band isn't doing it job. 

My rules:
Try to stay more low carb, eat protein first, then veggies..then carbs.  No drinking with meals or until 30 min after I finish eating.  My band doesn't like breads and pizza crusts, so I generally don't eat them.  I try to walk as much as possible.  

Good luck

Oh and join the st. patricks day challenge here...those always help me stay on track,  :)

wbell
on 2/1/12 10:32 pm
Yes, I have seen my PA (not the surgeon) for about 9 months in a row following surgery. Just haven't seen the nutrionist since before surgery.

I would get a small fill each time of about .5 cc. from the PA.  I have a 10cc band. I am up to 9cc fill. I have restriction. I just eat crazy things and crazy ways. One day I try going back to shakes only, then protein only, then I 'm starving for something "white".......but I limit it to whole wheat if I eat bread. And I can eat bread and even hamburger and hotdog buns. If I do a burger, I only eat half the bun.

If I don't get enough fruits and veggies, then I get consitpated. I take Benefiber every morning. Must not be enough.

What is the St. Patrick's Day challenge? I NEED A CHALLENGE!!!!!!
Bette B.
on 2/1/12 11:15 pm
First of all - happy anniversary!

"Only" lost 21 pounds? Give yourself some credit.  If you hadn't had your surgery, how many do you think you would have GAINED in a year? 

Now - the hard part:
". I just eat crazy things and crazy ways. "

That, in a nutshell, is what's wrong. Visiting a nutritionist may help, but she's only going to tell you the best things to eat. YOU have to be the one to actually eat them. You have realized what the problem is, now you just need to get yourself focused. Is there a support group you can get to, or do you have the ability to see a therapist? Either or both will go a long way to helping you get on track. 

The band can't do it alone. You have to work as a team.

teamwork

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

wbell
on 2/1/12 11:22 pm
Love, love,love your picture for Team Work!! I need to print it and put it on the refrigerator to remind myself to reach out for support.

I started seeing a therapist about a month ago and going to a 12 step program-ACOA. Both are helping.  I credit both for keeping me from just saying "to heck with this."

I am thinking about cancelling my nutritionist appt. tomorrow the more I think about it because I DO KNOW what to eat and how much and how often. Besides, I will have to drive an hour there and an hour back and pay out of pocket $50 for her to tell me to eat protein first and drink water after meals.

Thanks, Bette!

michele1
on 2/1/12 10:31 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

One year, Congratulations!!!! Just imagine how much more weight you may have gained if you never had the surgery........ and every pounds lost is a victory!!!! Oh and the band never stops working if it is working properly....

Michele

coachgrrl
on 2/2/12 12:23 am
 Do not cancel the appointment.  Go and be honest, help her come up with a plan that works for you. I think when I plan and have food around that I like and is good for me is when I do the best.

You know what they say, "those who fail to plan, plan to fail."

You're back on track...just making the appointments is half the battle.  Don't be afraid.  You can do this.  

Really...you can :)

wbell
on 2/2/12 1:31 am
You are right! I'll go and fesh up and get some advice and maybe some new ideas. I sooooooooo  want this to work for me.

"It works if you work it."  (from ACOA and other 12 steps)
Most Active