Sleeve - Newton Wellesley Hospital

Steven S.
on 2/22/12 10:11 pm - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
Hi

I'm hoping to have my VSG surgery in April at Newton Wellesly Hospital. 

The WLS program there is awesome.  The staff and the DR's are all great.  The only challenge I've had so far is that is seems they do more RNY over Sleeves.  I'm curious if any of you have (or had) experience with the Sleeve surgery at Newton Wellesly.

My surgeon is Dr. Sheila Partridge and I think she's fantastic - but again, just a little concerned because their program is more geared toward gastric bypass.

MLJ2012
on 2/23/12 10:17 am - MA
I think most Weight Loss Surgeries are Bypass or LAP band focused.  The sleeve is gaining in popularity and more insurance companies pay for them.  At Lahey they have done 10 versus the thousand of by passes.  
hoosierapple
on 2/29/12 12:34 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

I go to the same office as you do, but see a different doc.  They choose based on your specific medical issues, at least that is what I understand.... Though it does seem as more RNY than sleeve.   Initially they were going to do the sleeve for me due to my anemia - however once they found out I don't absorb iron orally, but rather get infusions, he settled in RNY as a better option for me.   

They submitted for insurance approval last week, hope to hear soon! 

Maybe I will see ya at some of the meetings.  :)

Good luck on your journey!

Steven S.
on 2/29/12 8:36 pm - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
Thanks!  I'm looking forward to my surgery.  I should be get my surgery date on my next appt which is March 14.  I'm going to the meeting on Thursday March 8.   Let me know if you'll be there!
hoosierapple
on 2/29/12 9:50 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

I hope you get your surgery date then. :). 

They typically wait til after insurance approves for a date, although maybe it depends on which insurance you have.  Otherwise on my last appt I would have been given my date.  So, I am waiting rather impatiently on my insurance approval.  lol.  I started my journey Dec 1 - and feels good to finally get to the place of being ready. :)

I will be at tonight's meeting, as well as next weeks... I am going to attend all I can pre-op... As well as post-op.  it's nice to be around folks who share the same struggle. 

Good luck! 

Steven S.
on 3/1/12 12:20 am - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
I might see you tonight.  I just looked at the schedule and I thought it was the new patient into meeting tonight.  Chances are I will see you there.  If not, I'll definitely be there next week.

AMYLIZ527
on 3/2/12 10:56 pm - Sterling, MA
Good morning! 
I am so happy to see some 'chatter' on here- although I haven't been on OH in awhile, the MA board had really died down! I had my surgery on May 5, 2011 and was at the meeting on Thursday- were you guys sitting behind  me? Wierd "virtual world" that we live in! :) 
Good luck at your apt next week and good luck with your insurance approval! 
Its a great journey! 
Steven S.
on 3/3/12 4:31 am - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
Thanks!  I'm excited about getting my surgery.  My surgeon is Dr. Partridge and she's been fantastic.  I was at the meeting on Thursday (the one who mentioned getting so swetty at gym!! :))

I'm going to the meeting this Thursday as well.  If you're there - please say hello!!!

Steve

hoosierapple
on 3/3/12 8:30 pm, edited 3/3/12 8:30 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

I was there sitting along the wall.... I will be there Thursday as well... Say Hi!  

- Apple

Cindyagogo
on 3/3/12 9:59 am
RNY on 02/21/12
On February 23, 2012 at 6:11 AM Pacific Time, ssansoucie wrote:
Hi

I'm hoping to have my VSG surgery in April at Newton Wellesly Hospital. 

The WLS program there is awesome.  The staff and the DR's are all great.  The only challenge I've had so far is that is seems they do more RNY over Sleeves.  I'm curious if any of you have (or had) experience with the Sleeve surgery at Newton Wellesly.

My surgeon is Dr. Sheila Partridge and I think she's fantastic - but again, just a little concerned because their program is more geared toward gastric bypass.

BCBS just started covering the sleeve in the last 2-3 months. Insurance companies have been slow to get onboard. I think that is definitely a big reason why they haven't been done as much.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 623 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2193 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4381 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4506 views