Anyone have gastric bypass done by Dr. Cohen at UMass Worcester Hospital?

kimchigirl
on 6/24/12 11:45 am - MA
My pre-op date was supposed to be June 7th, but because Dr. Cohen had a family emergency, it got moved to July 5th. I know this will vary because of several factors, but has anyone here had Dr. Cohen and if so, how long after the pre-op was your actual surgery?
Cusscusscutie
on 7/1/12 9:46 pm - MA
Dr Cohen was my surgeon for my VSG. He rocks! I am not sure what you mean about "how long after the pre-op was your actual surgery?" We had to fight with my insurance to cover my surgery but I was approved on a Thursday and had surgery that Friday! You have nothing to worry about!

coconutatthebeach
on 10/10/12 11:43 pm
I've heard of Dr. Cohen, but I'd recommend Dr. Kelly. Dr. Kelly is superb surgeon at Worcester U-Mass. he didn't do my weight loss surgery but he did my follow-up with the injections and other things that came up. He has a problem with his back and neck that is noticed when first met, but don't let that deter you. He is director of the weight loss department and the best surgeon I've ever come across. Additionally he is kind and compassionate.
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/16 6:39 pm

Hello I have a question what type of insurance did you have and how did you go about getting this surgery :)

jharrington8172
on 8/21/12 12:47 pm - Hermitage, TN
I was just coming onto the boards to ask about Dr. Cohen as my little sister is going to have her gastric bypass with him next month.    I was just being a nosey sibling and wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with him.  

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

kimchigirl
on 8/22/12 7:02 am - MA
Well I had my surgery on July 27th, and I have to say that Dr. Cohen is so awesome. He is one of my new favorite people, lol. He is super funny and puts you at ease, he is def a no bull**** kind of guy. The hospital staff was great. I didn't see Dr. Cohen post surgery while in the hospital though, not sure if he was just doing other surgeries or what, but the docs that came to check on me were great and the nurses were amazing as well as housekeeping staff. Tell her that when they take her off IV fluids on the last day and give her what they call a "thimble" of water (not sure why when it's just a medicine measuring cup) it will be the bes****er she has ever had, lol. The pain was not bad, I thought it would be about the same as my c-section, but it wasn't as bad, although the morphine drip might have had a little to do with that, lol. I had more discomfort from gas pain, but even that wasn't horrible, it was just really uncomfortable a couple of times. I wish her luck, but with Dr. Cohen she won't need it! 
Cusscusscutie
on 8/22/12 1:57 pm - MA
I am glad everything went easy peasy! I heart Dr. Cohen!

finallywendy217
on 11/2/12 5:45 am - MA

I had my surgery in Feb 2012 with Dr Cohen and my husband just had his surgery last week with Dr Cohen. He is a wonderful surgeon, has a great sense of humor, gets to the point, tells you everything you want to know. Just a great Dr. They all are at the Weight Center.

Marcia C.
on 11/12/12 3:47 am - Holden, MA
My best friend had Dr. Cohen and she did GREAT!! He was awesome through some rare challenges she faced two years later too! I had Dr Kelly and he was Awesome too and was on rotation when my best friend had her surgery so she got to see him too.

HollDobs
on 12/9/12 9:30 am - MA

I have Dr. Perugini but have interacted with Cohen on a few times and love him

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 623 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2193 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4381 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs