Camping-Friendly Healthy Recipes/Eating

DavidReed
on 6/10/11 10:38 am
Hi Everyone!

My wife and I are planning on taking a 5-day camping trip over the weekend of the Fourth of July.

We'd be interested in eating healthy ideas you might have.  Camping-friendly recipes that are still nutritious, flavorful, and balanced.  While still being cooler-and camp-fire (fire-ring, cast-iron pan) friendly...

We're kinda of thinking, of course, chicken will be good, turkey hot dogs, etc.  Even thinking of cutting up tri-colored peppers, onions, etc, ahead of time, for tacos or camp-fire stir-fry...but we'd LOVE to hear any great ideas you might have!

Any kind of "macaroni casserole" that's healthy, etc...you guys know...

Any ideas???

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

mainegal
on 6/10/11 9:33 pm - Thomaston, ME

I'm all for easy prep, cook and clean-up. Tin foil packets on the hot coals are always good and easy.

Some meat, seasoning, veggies of your choice wrapped up in a tin foil "pouch".  
http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/tips_category .asp?cat_id=1688

Fish, lemon pepper, lemon, sliced thin,  onion sliced thin is wonderful this way.
lean pork chop, seasoning, bell pepper, onion, carrots sliced up

be sure to pack some tongs to retrieve the packet from the coals.

We also love cast iron dutch oven cooking. (Hope you're not backpacking- rather bulky and heavy) Put things together in a footed cast iron dutch oven with hot charcoal briquets above and below the pot.  CHicken, stews, soups http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-cooking.shtml

You get the idea.

Emily     SW 320, Pre Surg 271.3, Lowest 189.8 Current 212.9 GW -155-188
Continuing the weight loss journey 10 pound goals at a time.  June 2011

Kelly S.
on 6/12/11 11:51 pm
Have you tried Dreamfield's pasta? I don't know if they have it everywhere but they do at Shaws. It's in a black box and it's the only kind of pasta I can do.  It is made with carb restricted something or other and is low in carbs and doesn't bloat in my tummy. 

I usually make a chili and bring it in the crockpot...  Also you could do burgers without the buns.

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

Most Active