favorite food that stays down

Ron M.
on 7/11/03 1:47 pm - Corinna, ME
What is your favorite food that stays down and how long do you need to chew it before swallowing? I understand the food needs to be bitten in tiny pieces then chewed to a fine puree that would flow through a wire mesh strainer. Has anyone used a juicer to make raw veggie juice? I like to make a carrot, cellery and one clove of garlic juice. Just love it. Another good one is 1 half of a lemon and 3 apples, good stuff!! NoI have not had my operation yet, just asking questions. Thanks in advance. Ron
Jo Ann B.
on 7/12/03 2:10 am - South Berwick, ME
Hi Ron, welcome to the Maine Boards. : ) I am pre-op too, and I think it is cool that you are preparing for surgery before hand! How many stalks of celery do you use to each carrot? Lemon and apple juice - I would have never thought of that combination. Do you have one of those professional type juicers? I would love to hear from the post-op's about their chewing practices. I heard a patient of Dr. Cobean's say that she chews every bite of food to a count of 80 before swallowing. I have been working on that, and I think this might be the area where I will have the most trouble - but I am practicing! Wishing everyone a good weekend! Jo
TX M.
on 7/12/03 12:30 pm - Tx
Hi Ron, welcome to the board(s). I am pre-op, till Tuesday anyway, but was told to get a blender so I could blend or puree food. Once you visit with Dayna, the nutritionist at Dr Cloughs office, you will learn lots of cool ways to deal with food. She is great and I am sure I will be emailing her with tons of questions after surgery. I do have a question about beef jerky. Seems like a lot of people use it as a source of protien and I do enjoy it now and then, but just how does anyone chew it long enough to get it to the point of being pureed. I would think it would take an hour, my jaw would be dying! ***Grins
Casey L.
on 7/12/03 10:30 pm - Old Town, ME
Hi Ron, As far as I know when it comes to fruit juices you will have to dilute them. (Like 4oz juice and 4oz water) I don't know what you'd have to do in the case of veggie juices. When you go to the education class you will receive a binder of info that goes into some detail about food. That can be helpful in figuring out where you will be at the different stages post-op. As far as the chewing etc...I have sort of figured out what consistency and in what amount is ok. You can sort of tell when it is too much or not chewed enough. The teeny tiny bite thing isn't exactly necessary it's making sure before it goes down it is the right consistency but if tiny bites work for you that is fine too. Pureeing regular foods is not necessary either, I think that is a big misconception. If you have teeth and can chew you have your own blender. Who wants a liquid diet anyhow??? Dayna never reccomended a blender to me. I have one but I'd rather chew than drink. I haven't had a problem with things not staying down but as far as favorite foods go my favorite is variety. I like to have something different as often as possible to not get sick of any one thing. I did get asick of something a few times, I found something I liked then had it a couple of nights in a row and didn't want it again. Not a nausea thing just bored with the same food. Plus trying new things will help you to know what you can tolerate/not tolerate etc. Hope this helps... As always email me with questions... ~Casey
Most Active