Where are you in the waiting list?

Teresa M.
on 7/25/03 12:09 pm - Auburn, ME
Hi- I've been on a waiting list for a year now just to get a first appointment. Do you see people around you getting further ahead of you in the journey even though they started their quest six months after you? I'm frustrated and wonder if I'm not doing something to move myself up the list faster.
Jo Ann B.
on 7/25/03 12:53 pm - South Berwick, ME
Hi Teresa! Happened much the same way for me too - only I actually spent one whole year thinking I was on Dr.Cobean's list (I had filled out a giant form letter here at OH.com which I thought was sent directly to his office!), but I wasn't. I attended my first meeting of Dr. Cobean's, at MMC in April of 2001! One year later I gave them a call, thinking I was about due for my appointment. I was devastated to find that I had never been put on the list. And it wasn't their fault, it was my misunderstanding. But in the meantime, I had already been working with my Primary Doctor; she had referred me for a sleep study, had scheduled meetings with a diabetes educator, and had written CIGNA asking permission for me to see Dr. Cobean. At last, I was on the list! I had already completed the prep work (c-pap machine, Dr. supervised diabetes diet and meetings, co-morbids had been documented...). I finally heard from Dr. Cobean's office in the spring of 2002. They said I was on the list and would need to attend a support meeting in the fall, and I would probably be seeing Dr. Cobean the following spring (2003). That is how it happened for me. My first appointment with his team was May 14th, 2003, the second was June 11th, 2003 and my surgery date is July 28th - little more than TWO DAYS : )!!! IF there is a way to move up faster on the list, I didn't hear about it, nor do I know anyone who did. I called the office every so often and offered to take any cancellations with an hour's notice (I live almost an hour south). In the meantime, I even went down to Boston and checked out New England Medical Center's Obesity Center. I liked Dr. Shikora and his team, but I felt Dr. Cobean was the best choice for me and my surgery. I felt he was worth the wait. And I looked at the bright side - when I first heard Dr. Cobean speak at an informational/support meeting, he had not yet performed 100 surgeries. Now he has had done hundreds! Just think of all that practice! Try not to get discouraged, Teresa, just do the best you can to get your ducks in a row, make sure you know what your insurance company requires for approval - work on those things - and hang in there. Your day will come. I DO know how hard it is to wait - believe me! Love, Jo
Casey L.
on 7/25/03 10:16 pm - Old Town, ME
I am no longer on the waiting list but I can offer you my experience with waiting... I asked my PCP about the surgery late October 2002, she refered me to Dr. Clough's program in Bangor, I had finished the education class, required support meeting, psych eval, nutritionist and physical therapy appointments by Jan 2003, I saw the surgeon late March and was approved shortly after by my insurance. June 12th I had my surgery. So if you're looking for a fast track to this surgery Bangor is the place to be. I know someone who has gone through Lewistion and waited over a year. Same for Augusta. I have heard much longer for Portland. Dr Clough is changing the way he does his past one year post op follow ups so he doesn't see them but a partner does so that frees up his time and makes the process faster for a lot of people. Good luck to you.
Teresa M.
on 7/25/03 10:32 pm - Auburn, ME
Thank you both for the reply, I get discouraged because someone I work with started with a Dr. in Augusta, ME- January 2003 and they are having surgery next week. I feel like I'm being left behind. I checked with Dr. Cobean's office and they said they will not forget me but it may still be another six months just for a first appointment. I'm fearful that my insurance company may change the requirements before I can ever get to have the surgery. I know right now I can get approved without issue.
Most Active