Thyroid issues

Kathy O.
on 11/13/07 4:31 am - Minnetonka, MN
Just wondering if anyone has been on synthroid (or generic version) for Thyroid?  I'm pre-surgery (just waiting for insurance approval) and started taking this medication about 4 weeks ago.  Does anyone know if late period is one of the side affects?  Mine is 2 weeks late and I've never been this late before.  Knowing my luck after trying for 8 years I'd get pregnant right before surgery is approved.   I'm waiting until the weekend before taking a test.   Keeping fingers crossed its a side affect of my medication. 
sweetsue617
on 11/13/07 7:00 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Hi Kathy~ I've been on Synthroid for several years now, but I've never had a late period as a side effect of this medication. I hope that whatever happens, it's a good thing for you! Let us know, okay?
Sandra N.
on 11/13/07 7:21 am - MN
HI!  My sister takes synthroid and she has never had a late period except when she was pregnant with her 4 kids.  If you are 2 weeks late I would take a test because it will tell you by now......and besides you can at least rule that out if it's negative!  And (if it would be positive) if you are approved it is good for one year with most/all insurance.  Hope what ever results brings you what you want!!!  Keep us posted!

~Sandie~ -147!!WLS:12-12-06:Preop 268,Ht.5'4",BMI 44.9
  Click on link to see my journey!!! 
http://www.onetruemedia.com/my_shared?z=2bfaca5561a1d558fceb
87&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

"Do unto others as you'd have done to you"~ The Golden Rule to Live by!
You are what you EAT and WHO you hang out with!  Choices=Outcome~ what's YOUR choice??
I'm not perfect but I am going to die trying!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/07 8:10 am - Bloomington, MN
I've been taking synthroid for years and it did kind of screw with my cycle when I first started taking it.  But do take a home pregnancy test - they're easy and inexpensive and at least you'll know.  I'm sure your surgeon already told you to be extra cautious after surgery and use 2 forms of birth control cuz we tend to get extra fertile after surgery - even if we had conception problems beforehand.
nicole W.
on 11/13/07 9:21 am - Bismarck, ND
But, if the PG test is negative, a screwed up cycle is possible from thyroid issues, and if the thyroid is just now finally starting to work, which it may take a week or two for it ti kick in, then, short answer is yes it can delay periods. Good luck.
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
Tammy A.
on 11/16/07 2:00 am - Maple Grove, MN
I have hypothyroid and have been on synthroid for 4 years.  Never experienced a problem, but I am also on birthcontrol. Tammy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1365 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1142 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2607 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2693 views