Clear liquid diet?

Roxy_52
on 4/6/11 9:54 am - MN
Did anyone have Dr. Chute for your surgery?  How many days or weeks did you have to be on a clear liquid diet before surgery day?
Paul H.
on 4/7/11 12:17 am - Eagan, MN
 I didn't have Dr Chute, but being on a clear (broth) type of diet prior to surgery is typical of pre-op preparation.  I mean do you really want chunks of food flling out when they cut the stomach?
  We really get used to the foods we have been using for comfort over the years. This has to change. My best meal in life was a cup of beef broth brought to me after a five day fast in the hospital after waiting to see if I was going to be operated on.
   When I was doing a recent prep for a colonoscopy, I mixed some Thai-Curry broth (or spices) with a chicken broth. It was not a sacrifice at all, but rather a tasty change from my usual fare.
  Be creative and enjoy, it is all for a very good cause, YOUR health.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

rjsams
on 4/8/11 12:47 am - Eagan, MN
I had Dr. Chute--love him!!  He is quiet and unassuming, very caring and he is a great surgeon!

I believe I was on a liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery.  It was very hard, but I did it.  It's a good test for the life changes you are going to be making after surgery.  If you can get through that two weeks, you can be successful at this!

Dr. Chute is pretty conservative about getting you back on regular food after surgery, too.  He wants to be sure your gut is ready for it.  I appreciated the conservativism, but I actually don't think I completely followed his after surgery schedule.  I DID follow the pre-surgery diet, tho.  It has a significant effect on the surgery itself, and you don't want to mess with that.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1374 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1147 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2618 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2698 views