SERIOUS LAP BAND INFECTION-HELP

CheriLynn
on 5/12/11 3:34 am - Paynesville, MN
Hey all I have not been here for a long long time!  I have had RNY - but my mother did the lap band 4 years ago- she is now in the hospital with a very serious infection in her abdomen due to the lap band eroding her stomach - her surgery to remove it is Friday-

Has anyone heard of this happening and what do you know- She is in Ohio and I am in Minnesota so I am so scared for her!

Thanks!
Cheri Lynn

5'2" - High Weight=224 / Current=145My Goal= 130

Believe in Miracles... 

wert
on 5/12/11 9:38 am - MN
I don't have any personal experience with the band but I read about band problems a lot on the VSG forum. It seems as tho a fair number of VSGers revise from the band because of any number of serious band problems. Maybe your Mom will need to consider having a revision, too. I don't know anything about revising from band to RNY because I'm not over on that forum.

All the best to your Mom.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Darla S.
on 5/12/11 11:37 pm - Maple Grove, MN
Hey pretty lady - I can only send up a prayer for your mom, that her surgery goes smoothly and she has no lasting complications from this issue.  Has she been successful with her band?  Do you think she will she want a revision?  All I know is that the nurse who lead the info session I went to pre-op had started with a band, had several complications with it, and ended up revising to RNY.  That was enough to confirm my decision to go straight to RNY. 

It's been - wow, probably two and a half YEARS since I've seen your purdy face!!!  How have YOU been? 

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

CheriLynn
on 5/13/11 1:59 am - Paynesville, MN
Hey Darla sweetie- Been great! I have taken a new job so busy busy- moved to Paynesville so I really need to find a new support group- haven't been to one in over a year and could sure use it! How have you been?

MOM IS OUT OF SURGERY! All went well- waiting to talk to her

My mom originally wanted RNY but the doctors said no because she had a poyp removed from her stomach and they didn't want to lose direct access- She did great with the band- she is so scared she will put the weight back on, but not sure what she will do

Thanks all for ur prayers!

5'2" - High Weight=224 / Current=145My Goal= 130

Believe in Miracles... 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1370 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1143 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2614 views
10+ years out -