Am I nuts?

mnmommaof2
on 8/16/12 5:45 pm
VSG on 11/23/12
 Well, the subject line says it all.  I have decided to finally persue bariatric surgery.  (sleeve for me please!)..  The only problem is that pesky insurance company.  WLS is listed as an exclusion on my policy and my dealings through e-mail have led to their reply of  absolute denial of coverage regardless of necessity.  So I'm left with self pay.  Checked with a few hospitals and the starting fee is 20,000 just for surgery and hospital stay. That doesn't even cover any pre-op tests or requirements.  The letter I got from Abbott listed about 35,000 worth of fees as a minimum.  YIKES is right.  I just can't do it.  So I've been looking into Dr. Alvarez in Predras Negras, Mexico.  It's 8,900 excluding airfare and I have googled him to death.  Low complication rate, US comparable hospital 
(although older),  and a million positive reviews from previous patients with 3,300 surgeries under his belt.  Am I nuts to seriously consider him? Anyone gone to him or have any other self-pay options in MN?? 

Paul H.
on 8/17/12 5:13 am - Eagan, MN
 We have a woman in our South of the River group that had her surgery in Mexico. I think it may have been Dr Alverez. She had a DS operation and I think it came out to 13,500. I had my RNY  at Abbott and with a few extra's thrown in it came out to 54,000.

Our South of the River group meets Saturdays 8:30-10 or so. We are meeting at Eagan's Byerly's Yankee Doodle and 35E. Join us if you can. We are in the coffee shop there, we usually have 5-8 people. Look for the water bottles and then join us.

I will be there and you will see a red motorcycle jacket and maybe a helmet.
Paul
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

mnmommaof2
on 8/17/12 10:46 am
VSG on 11/23/12
 Thanks for your posting Paul.  I just happen to not have any kids tomorrow morning so you can count me in.  I really appreciate your invitation.   I'll be the short girl with long  brown hair and glasses looking lost.  See you in the morning.  

~Jen 
Paul H.
on 8/17/12 7:21 pm - Eagan, MN
         Wonderful. We are all looking forward to meeting you!  

Byerly's is north of Yankee Doodle and east of 35E , turn north at the Dairy Queen. The large complex of Rainbow foods, restaurant row and Walmart are all south of Yankee Doodle.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1373 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1147 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2617 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2698 views