My New Self Bariatric Center-Des Peres Hospital

2catsandadream
on 8/7/15 5:43 pm

Hi Sue.  I'm Marsha from Swansea.  I have just started the process for having the surgery after a year of hesitating, researching, hesitating and finally moving forward.  So I understand how difficult making the decision is.  The thing that kept tugging me back was believing that I just needed to try harder to lose the weight on my own.  After finding an article online that explained why it is nearly impossible for a morbidly obese person to retain weight loss, I decided I need the surgery in order to bring quality back to my life. I reached this decision prayerfully.  Good luck to you on your weight loss journey.

TeacherSue
on 8/7/15 5:54 pm - Collinsville, IL

Hi Marsha!  I just can't seem to wrap my head around the surgery.  My friend had it and only lost 50 pounds and it's been almost two years for her.  I know several who have life-long complications.  I know someone who has gained all the weight back.  It scares me, and I just can't do it.  I'm still fat; and if that's the way I stay, then I guess it will just have to be.  My big, big decision maker was that I truly believe I would be one to eat stuff I shouldn't instead of the protein and veggies they encourage you to eat.  I know me too well!!  Ha.  Who is your doctor?

2catsandadream
on 8/7/15 11:45 pm

Dr. Scott.  I've had the psychological eval. and found the psychologist very informative.  He gave me information about the gastric sleeve that I hadn't found in my research, so I did additional research.  Right now, I'm leaning toward choosing the sleeve.  I've read some good books on both the sleeve and by-pass.  I'll be glad to share the titles if you're interested.  I have a big concern about gaining back the weight too, but I know dieting in not the answer for me.  I've lose almost 100 pounds twice, promised I'd never gain in back, but did and then some.  Take your time making this decision.  The surgeries are life altering.  You need to be emotionally ready to do this.

TeacherSue
on 8/12/15 1:27 pm - Collinsville, IL

Hi Marsha!  Sounds like you are ready to go forward...good for you!  Thanks but I have several books on weight-loss surgery specifically on the sleeve.  Just too afraid to go through with it.  I've been mulling this over for two years and finally decided it's not for me.  However, I certainly am behind anyone having the surgery.  I do wish you well, and would love to keep up with your progress.  My e-mail is [email protected] if you would rather communicate that way.  I'm on facebook, too...Susan Thompson.  Maybe you would rather not communicate, and that is fine, too.  I understand!

2catsandadream
on 8/12/15 10:20 pm

Sue, I'd love to keep in touch.  I spent the day at Des Peres Hospital having some preliminary tests today.  I'm probably looking at October for surgery, and I'm choosing the sleeve.  Keep me posted on your diet progress.  

2catsandadream
on 8/12/15 10:22 pm

P.S.  My name is Marsha.  I'll email you so you'll have my email address.

TeacherSue
on 8/12/15 10:26 pm - Collinsville, IL

If you don't mind, could we switch to e-mail?  I am not receiving some of your posts until much later than when we sent them.  I think it would be faster by e-mail.  Thanks!

Good choice on the sleeve, I think.  That's what I would have chosen, also.  You had a busy day then...

MsDaryl
on 8/13/14 2:52 am

I had my surgery with Dr. Scott 5/15/14.  I am in healthcare and looked VERY carefully before having bariatric surgery.  All the surgery nurses here recommended him very highly.  I was majorly impressed with him and the care at Des Pere Hospital.  By the way I had an RNY, I'm down 50# and love it.

DB

Most Active
Recent Topics