How is Carly?

runfatgirlrun
on 8/6/11 9:11 am

I have been wondering how Carly is making out? We have not heard from her since June. I have been thinking about her and wondering how she is doing.  I know that it is summer and many folk are busy on vacation but I am eager to hear how any VSG patients are making out.

Carly ~
on 8/12/11 7:48 am
 Hey Run : )
Thanks for asking about me.
I'm doing really well, there isn't much to update at all.

I'm eating regular foods now, enjoying the summer.    I go for my 6 week checkup (two weeks late) -- so it's like.. my two month check up on Friday next week!

I haven't weighed myself since 6 weeks, and wish I hadn't.
At 3 weeks out, I lost 35.5 lbs
At 6 weeks out, I was down 47 lbs.

Seemed like a lot of time passed for 12 extra pounds, so I'm going to stay away from the scale for longer periods of time.

There are some huge differences in how I feel physically, even with just 50 lbs or so gone in the last 7 weeks.

I don't get winded very often when I'm walking.  I have lots of energy and no pain when I'm moving or sitting.  It doesn't hurt to stand, or walk.. or curl my legs up under me.. while I'm sitting.

I feel more and more like myself.. every single day.

My tummy doesn't hit the steering wheel in the car anymore!  There's a lot of room in between now -- so that's a huge difference I notice.   And my arse doesn't block the water flow from the front to the back of the bathtub.. lol

Looking at myself, I don't see the weight loss.  All the clothes I had still fit, maybe a bit more loose, but nothing drastic.  I know for sure I had to be out of a 5x, because anything that size fitted would never have gone near me.   I know now that they fit much better, and some are almost too big.    Even still, everything still feels surreal.  Feels like it's not happening to me.

A friend of mine gave me some clothes that no longer fit her, and I'll eventually get to wear them!  My mind, is playing games -- thinking.. what the hell did you take all those for?  You'll never fit into those!   So my mind is not catching up, it's still pre-op thinking I'll be fat forever.

Anyway.. I can eat everything that I've tried without any issues.   Loving haddock, chicken, halibut, lean deli meats from Costco, cheese, yogurt, milk.

Things I've thought I wanted, or was 'craving' -- didn't taste anything like I thought they would when I had a bite or two.   It helped get them out of my mind though, having a taste, and realizing it wasn't what I thought it would be.  Better than depriving yourself and always wondering.  One taste was pizza, it tasted ****ty.  Another was those stupid chocolate coconut macaroons from Costco, and sweets no longer do it for me.   

It's hard to get your head around the fact that things you fed your body with before -- your body no longer wants.   I'd turn away from old junky foods for a piece of broiled or pouched fish now any day.

Sometimes it's hard to get in all the protein in one day.  It's hard to believe that you're just not hungry, but it's true.  I never feel hunger anymore, but I have learned that my empty.. my hungry is nausea.  If I don't eat enough, even water will make me feel nauseous.

Food is beginning not to matter.   If I eat something 'treat-like' for a snack -- I think.. well, that wasn't really worth it.  I would have enjoyed some yogurt and a piece of cheese more.   My mentality around food has been changing, and the changes are crazy fast and hard to keep up with.

If I allow myself to have a 'treat' a few things have happened:
My stomach doesn't respond well and I decide that's it for that kind of food
My stomach felt fine, it tasted good but I feel like it was a wasteful thing to fill my small stomach with.
Most times, whatever I thought it would taste like is drastically different than how it actually tasted and just isn't worth having any more.

Don't get my wrong.. I still enjoy things that taste yummy, but what I find yummy now is so different than before.  A snack before.. was a Joe Lois and a can of pepsi on a treat day -- now it's a kiwi and some cheese.  It's weird for me -- honestly... and hard for even me to grasp.

Boring update I know.. but that's why I haven't really posted.  Things are just moving along, sometimes I don't even feel like I'm a part of this journey yet.

runfatgirlrun
on 8/12/11 10:50 am
Hey Carly:

So great to hear from you!!! Believe me everything you shared is not boring.  I was genuine in wondering how you are making out.  I am elated at how you are doing.  You should be so proud for standing up for yourself and undertaking a healthy lifestyle.  You are an inspiration to me.  This is a rebirth for you and life will only get better.  Please continue to share how you are making out. Your journey is important.   
beeker13
on 8/28/11 9:09 am
Hi Carly!

Glad to see you are doing well!  I know the numbers on the scale can be discouraging, but don't worry about them.  Most of us seem to measure success with the loss pounds we see on the scale, but it is the little things that count and get us motivated (ie- increased energy, clothes, no pain and crossing ones legs).    I think you are doing amazing and I know only good things will come your way!!

Take care of yourself and keep us updated!

Nicole P.
on 8/14/11 7:10 am - Shediac, Canada
Hi Carly,
I'm really happy to hear that you are doing so well.
You give us all something to look forward to.
sunnie41
on 8/15/11 12:17 am - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
your updates arent boring...i find it interesting to see day to day or week to week, how someone is doing, especially since we will  be in the same boat someday.
congrats, you are doing great.
Carly ~
on 8/16/11 3:42 am
 Thanks girls : )
I'll try to be more mindful and post a bit more frequently.  
Thanks for checking in on me!

I go for my 6 week check up two weeks late (surgeon was on vacation) this Friday.  I'll let you know how he thinks I'm doing.

Hopefully I can get some pointers for how I'm not measuring up with the amounts of water and protein we need to get in every day.  

I can't wait to get to a place where it all becomes second nature without consciously thinking of food constantly :P

LisaFull
on 9/19/11 10:35 pm - Fredericton, Canada
VSG on 10/02/13
Hi Carly - I am grateful for your detail and honesty- as another member said, its not boring - it is a window into what to expect.....been waiting a few years now, and will be waiting a while yet, but finally decided to join this forum while I wait for my first appt to get informed...cant hardly wait!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1072 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1934 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1782 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1779 views