frustrated

sunnie41
on 6/27/12 7:49 am - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
well, i have been off work for almost six weeks. i found out today that my insurance company (through work) has denied my being paid for short term leave.  my work approved the time off but the insurance company has now come back and denied me getting paid for the time off.  their resolve...that "cosmetic" surgery is not covered by my work...

ok, now i dont have to tell you how mad i was...to start...i didnt get my eyebrows done.  and for another thing, i dont think the province of new brunswick would have covered it if it had not been necessary...magor surgery...referred to them by my doctor...

it seems that we still face misunderstandings and prejudices as to what WLS is and does.
all i know is it is saving my life and if they consider that cosmetic...im in trouble

HW (last known weigh in)=452.5

2 week PRE-OP=401.8
SW-379.8

CW-226.9 (06/13/13) 

IslandMomma
on 6/27/12 11:27 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
 Sorry to hear...I would be really PO'ed too...is there anything the Dr. could do to change the decision??  Why would it be considered "cosmetic"?? You could still apply for short term coverage through EI maybe??

Prinnylynn
on 6/29/12 1:14 am - Canada
Sunnie, as a nurse in an office, I think it would be worthwhile for you to have your doctor assist you in writing a letter of appeal to the insurance company. WLS is considered a medical procedure ( although elective) .
sunnie41
on 6/29/12 9:59 am - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
yes, i was in to see the dr for my six week follow up today. when i told him about the insurance decision,he did not seem pleased. i can appeal so he gave me a copy of the surgery report, copy of my history with him and also wrote down a short note explaining that this was a life saving surgery, certainly not cosmetic. i also have to write an appeal letter which i will do on the weekend and fax tuesday (because of the holiday)
from there all i can do is cross my fingers.
Kitty_mom
on 7/10/12 9:23 am - New Maryland, Canada
That is terrible- how can you insurance deny you after the time has already passed?

sunnie41
on 7/10/12 10:45 am - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
Hey kitty. Good to see you. Well they denied the monetary part but not the actual time off. i submitted my appeal as well as paperwork dr savoie wrote for me and lo and behold...i won! So now i will get paid for the time off..even though it already happened lol
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1049 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views