1 Year VSG Anniversary

runfatgirlrun
on 11/24/12 11:31 am

Hi All ... I wanted to post because today is the 1 year anniversary of my VSG surgery.  This day last year I had VSG surgery in Bathurst with Dr. Savoie and it literally was one of the best things that happened to me in my life.  I have lost almost 100lbs and over 40% of my body weight in a year.  This surgery saved my life and gave me a life I never thought possible.  It has been a great year and I hope to continue on my quest to improve my health.  I am greatful each day for what I have been given and I have never been happier.  To date I have run my first marathon and I am training to participate in my first Triathalon.  Instead of sitting on the sidelines and wishing I could be a sporty person I am making it happen and enjoying it.  One thing I learned is that losing weight is all about health and not about the other superficial stuff. Being thinner does not mean that you are not immune to problems in life because they are still there.  Right now I am in a phase where I look in the mirror and still see that fat girl.  It is hard when you have been significantly overweight all your life to not see yourself that way especially when you have sagging skin.  I have to remind myself that the sagging skin is not fat but skin.  My body is not perfectly contoured but it works really well and I can fit into some fantastic clothes.  I can't express what it is like to have energy and be able to move in ways I never could before.  My body is more efficient and I cherish this ability.  I still harbour insecurities about my body because I have sagging skin but I am trying to move past that.  Being overweight shaped who I am in positive and negative ways and the excess skin is a reminder to me of where I was. I wish anyone considering this journey the same luck I had.      

IslandMomma
on 11/24/12 9:37 pm - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12

Congrats to you and your success!!!!  I understand where you are coming from...I am only 7 months out, but people are always asking me if I "feel" different!!??  NO, not different...maybe I am suppose to feel something different, but really it is amazing how we can lose 75lbs and not "feel" anything different....clothes don't fit anymore and we buy new ones, but really we are still the same inside...I guess it can be different for everyone...depending on your age and the stage you are in life, but for this Momma of 4 who is happily married...I am just looking forward to a longer life with my family and being more active would be a bonus....

Congrats again and keep up the great work...thanks for posting your thoughts and journey....

Vanessa D.
on 11/25/12 6:25 am
VSG on 04/18/12
I love that my loss has given me the ability to keep up with my kids and start participating in my favorite sports again. My family is adjusting to this change way more quickly than i am. However, i agree with you on the mirror and the fat chick in it. It's going to take a while for the brain to catch up or so i have been told many times. Congrats on your success,keep up the hard(sometimes fun) work.
sunnie41
on 11/26/12 11:51 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12

congrats on your life change and success so far.

i agree when you say that even though you lose weight, it doesnt cure all the problems. they are still there, just different

even though i still have a long way to go, i still see the girl i was in the mirror too. when i say that to people, they dont believe me. they look at me and say whatever, it is so obvious..im glad that others feel the same as me because it cant be explained unless you are experiencing it.

better_life_ahead
on 11/29/12 11:24 pm - Moncton, Canada
VSG on 02/14/12

Congrats!!

Who knew a year could go by so fast huh!!

Prinnylynn
on 12/4/12 12:23 am - Canada

So proud of you!

This is still fairly new to me (vsg aug). I still look in the mirror and dont see "new person" I see me. I still pick up clothes in my old size and am truly shocked everytime when they are too big. The mind is such a strange thing.

I love how my body works, how much better I feel and the fact that I can now do things I was never able to do before.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1081 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1946 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1792 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1787 views