Thin Hair before surgery!

ErinG
on 2/27/14 2:57 am
VSG on 04/07/14

So I found out a few years ago I have PCOS, and a condition of that (for me anyway) is thinning hair, and icky hair on my chin, ugh, so my question is have any ladies on here had this issue before surgery ( im still waiting for my surgery date soon though), and how did things work out , hair loss wise, for you, Im completely prepared for this surgery mentally, and physically ready to make the changes needed, but for some reason the thought of the potential hair loss is really bothering me, I think because my hair is already thin and im afraid if going bald or something, Does anyone have any thoughts on this for me please I would appreciate it 

jjwbuster
on 2/27/14 1:47 pm - Saint John, Canada

My hair is naturally curly and fine. At the three month mark I lost quite a bit of hair. However it has come back the past month or so. I was told that the hair loss is due to the drastic weight loss. 

I didn't think that the hair loss would bother me but it really did. I ended up cutting it fairly short and didn't go with auburn hair dyes as I felt they would show the bald patches in contrast to my white scalp. 

I am not sure what would happen with having PCOS. Maybe talk to the surgeon about it. You may even be one of the people that doesn't experience any hair loss as there are some who don't. 

referral sent March 2009/ Approval signed March 2013/Surgery May 2013

HW: 404  Pre OP Liquid: 375   SW: 349   CW: 271

Prinnylynn
on 3/26/14 3:27 am - Canada

My hair was thin before surgery and it thinned quite a bit more but has since plateaued and now improving. I will tell you that anytime my protein intake gets low I notice it within a day or two. I am told this will always be ongoing. I highly reccomend Hair/Skin/Nails multi vitamin. I get mine in the US at walmart its in a purplish and white bottle along with a fish oil (liquid and no it is not gross I get bubble gum flavoured). You will notice a huge difference with these!!

sunnie41
on 3/26/14 5:53 am - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12

you both are lucky, mine thinned out to the point of losing most of it i had to wear wigs. it started at 6 months and just finished (i will be two years in may).  it is not half as thick as it used to be and i am taking vitamins, biotin etc etc. i lost a couple feet of hair. but one good point is, i now love my wigs. lol

i think i am in the minority here, most people seem to just have a three-four month spurt with the thinning.

thinkinhaboutvsg
on 4/3/14 12:01 pm

You need to make sure you get enough Protein in do get hair loss at minimum, it's very hard to do bc after surgery you need a lot & you can't "eat" very much it will take time to get there, I love to book "Weightloss surgery for Dummies" it is fabulous & helps give you tricks & advice.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1049 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views