Do I change doctors?

sylvan
on 7/8/11 12:00 pm
I'm torn.  Duke is just a couple of towns over.  I can go there if I want.  

If you recall, I had surgery in May but they decided they couldn't do it and closed me back up.  I guess the problem is that my next surgery date just got changed to August.  I have time to go somewhere else if I'd rather.  I trust my doctor but I guess somewhere in the back of my head I'm wondering why he couldn't do it.  I know, it was because of the liver but still, I had to go through a lot.  And then my case manager quit and I've been sort of just hanging out since the beginning of June.  At this point I don't even have a case manager.  I sort of feel like they're dropping the ball.    

I went in today for a weight check.  I've lost another 8 lbs, which surprised me.  That brings my total to 12 lbs.  I know, not a lot but a lot for me.  After the last surgery the doctor told my husband that I needed to lose 10 lbs and they'd do the surgery again.  The PA said I needed to lose 30 lbs.   I don't know who to believe.  I guess I'll just keep on trying to lose and we'll see where I am in August.   

So, what would you do?  Would you go for a consult at Duke?  I'm guessing since insurance already approved me that I can go to another doctor.  They didn't approve the doctor, they approved the surgery, right? 

Anyway, I'm sort of stuck with this in my head and I can't let go.
shoutjoy
on 7/8/11 8:19 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

Yes a fatty liver is an issue and losing some weight should help.  It doesn't hurt to get other advice.  It is important that you are confident and assured before you have surgery again.  So, go ahead and seek other opinions on this.  It's not going to hurt and it may even provide a better option.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

sylvan
on 7/9/11 8:21 am
Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I really appreciate it.
TamaraL
on 7/9/11 12:15 pm
keep in mind that you have to jump thru a lot of hoops to get approved at Duke.  They requrie you to do a lot of classes and meet other criteria before the clinic will do the surgery so that would delay the surgery even more. 

sylvan
on 7/9/11 12:36 pm
More hoops than I've already had to jump through to get approved by insurance?  I've done a class, met with a nutritionist, had a psych eval, did the sleep study, did a stress test, had an echo of my heart, met with the kidney guy, and other stuff I can't even remember at this point. 
TamaraL
on 7/9/11 11:53 pm
yes, my understanding is you would have to do their classes because they want to make sure you are prepared for the surgery and they do not know what was taught to you in the other class!!

Sorry. 

It doesn't hurt to call and talk to them but I do know a few people on the NC forum that have had to wait a long time to get surgery at Duke

Don27516
on 7/9/11 9:30 pm - NC
 I would call Duke to ask about a consultation. They will probably ask for copies of all the tests you have had. I have been very impressed with the doctors and staff at Duke.

Proudtobaloser
on 7/11/11 2:45 am - Fayetteville, NC
I was at WOMACK and they had a lot of requirements then I got transferred out because the surgeon that was to do my surgery went to another hospital. I got transferred and guess what? MORE tests, more classes, more research. I have not been approved yet because my surgeons office is waiting on ONE test result. Should hear something this week though as to if they are submitting paperwork or if there is something else that needs done.

Get more opinions, call Duke and ask what their requirements are. Ok the doctor told your husband 10 lbs yet the PA said 30 lbs? Sounds liek there is not a great amount of communication going on there.  I would ask the PA why they say that number when the doctor is saying 10 and ask the doctor why he/she is saying 10 when the PA is saying 30. Cover your bases.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 578 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1613 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1302 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1639 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2674 views