Miserable with pain, 9 days post-op LAP RNY

David F.
on 7/4/03 9:56 am - Sicklerville, NJ
I'm just over one week post-op and miserable with pain! Everything was going well until drain and staples were removed on Tuesday, July 1st. Ever since, I've had to take pain meds around the clock. Every time I turn, move, or walk, I get a painful pulling and burning pain along the route of where the drain was located. Dr. Mehta told me yesterday that it wouldn't be an infection unless I had a temp higher than 100.5, which I don't. I know this will take time, but I'm actually feeling worse each day, rather than better. Have any of you post-ops experienced the above? I'll call Dr. Mehta again on Monday if it doesn't get better. Taking pain meds around the clock is crazy, particularly when I didn't need them prior to drain removal as much.
S. K.
on 7/5/03 5:28 am - NJ
Hi David, MAYBE you have an infection inside...That is what happened to me- 10 days post-op! I needed to have the sucker drained and needed antibotics! I know it is painful! Maybe th doctor needs to do a cat-scan to see exactly what is going on inside! GOOD LUCK! STACEY BETH
David F.
on 7/5/03 11:25 am - Sicklerville, NJ
Saturday, July 5th - I felt just a little better physically today, still frustrated with the pain and lack of visible weight loss results. I think that I need to increase liquid intake three-fold, I'll give it a try. Feeling isolated and depressed today, starting to regret my decsion to have this surgery - Oh, well, too late now!!
b4_real
on 7/6/03 10:52 am
Hey there, you have to just stop rushing your body. you had major surgery 9 days ago. come on, you are going to hurt for awhile. I started feeling like myself in the 2nd month. keep taking your proteins this help heal you. and keep you from getting weak. hang in there and remember healing isn't a over night thing. hang in there, it do get better with TIME. Follow your docs orders and do as you suppose to do. things will get better.Your insides are still raw and swollen, you will go through the vomits and differculties in drinking and eating. Take it slow
SJWendy
on 7/7/03 9:23 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Aww David, so sorry to hear your so miserable. I hope you find out soon from your dr where this pain is coming from and have a quick recovery so you'll be able to accomplish your goals. Just wanted to let you know your in my thoughts and hope you'll get well soon. take care Wendy
Peggy B.
on 7/9/03 11:18 am - Middletown, NJ
Dear David, The most important thing is to be aware of how and what your body is telling you. Call Dr. Mehta and have things checked out. Just knowing that things are progressing normally will help you mentally and if they aren't then they can be taken care of. Sometimes you have to be insistant. As has been stated before you are only a few days post op. No one said this was going to be easy. I am sure many of us have experienced some depression for one reason or another. Be kind to yourself and take one day at a time. It is important to drink plenty of water and your protein. Good luck and this too shall pass. Fondly, PeggyB
Most Active