ordering protein Pwder from the US

nannydeb
on 3/25/11 12:36 am - Canada
Has anyone ever ordered from Bariatric Choice in the states?  Canada customs says it's 11% duty and you need approval from Health Canada ? 

Kat_12
on 3/25/11 6:44 am - Halifax, Canada
I ordered Unjury protein powders from the US...it took a little while to arrive, but no issues. 

nsblue
on 3/25/11 9:07 am, edited 3/25/11 9:09 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

no, i haven't from the states. I've only bought kaizen whey isolate powder from costco in halifax, ice cream flavor  but I think i will have to pick up some non flavored as well.

in reading the forum i ran across an old post by ang on a skim milk protein smoothie

here tis..

Skim Milk Powder Smoothie 

I found this on the back of a bag of powdered skim milk (well, I modified it a bit - replaced regular yogurt with Greek yogurt & added some splenda) - if my calculations are right it has 41g protein & 330 calories.  It's a little high in calories so I think I will reserve this for days where I am travelling.

Skim Milk Powder Smoothie: 

In blender mix:

couple of ice cubes

1/2 c water

1/4 c powdered skim milk

2 tb splenda

1 c greek yogurt

1/2 c fruit

A in NS
on 3/25/11 9:53 am
I think I screwed up the calorie count for that - there is a corrected one on that post if you can find it again...  :)

Weight lost since surgery:

nsblue
on 3/25/11 12:49 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

Yes ang, your right. here is the thread  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NS/4225406/High-protein-sm oothie-WITHOUT-protein-powder/

in it Nadine had said .....

1 c Greek Yogurt = 146 cal - 26 g protein
1/4 c powder skim = 90 cal - 9 g protein
1/2 c fruit = ?

and you had said

Thanks Nadine!!  I cut the recipe from the package in half, but when calculating the nutritional values of the skim milk powder, I doubled it instead of halving it - I like this even more now!  :)  If anyone improves on it please let me know!    :)

so Ang would that make the smoothie 35 g of protein and 236 cal plus whatever fruit added?

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 9:02 am - Canada

I never bought any fancy pro drinks, i kind of made my own. I used either carnation instant brfsts or slim fast and added skim milk powder and milk to up the pro....it worked out well for me!

Cheers,

nannydeb
on 3/26/11 9:39 am - Canada
Thanks.  I think I'll do the same thing and alo buy some protein powder locally as well.  I really like the protein shakes and am OK with ensure, boost, CIB and Glucerna too, so all in all I think I'll be OK with protein.
MooseheadsII
on 3/28/11 4:57 am - Halifax, Canada
I haven't calculated the calories on my smoothie but here's the recipe.
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (18 grams protein)
1 cup 1% milk (8 grams protein)
1 scoop strawberry protein powder (25 gms protein)
1/2 banana
6 strawberries
4 ice cubes
Make about 4 cups - 51 grams of protein.
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/11 1:56 pm - Canada

Also keep in mind that the really high pro drinks have way more pro per serving than our body can absorb at one time. The most we can absorb at once is max 30 pro so anything more than that will your body will not be able to use.

cheers,

nannydeb
on 3/29/11 9:28 pm - Canada
Now that I didn't know.  Thanks.
Most Active