B12

Andrew Thompson
on 6/17/11 10:30 pm - Canada
My recent visit with the dietician said that I can take B12 in a pill format instead of sublingual.

I thought that this was odd; my understanding is that we can't injest B12 through a pill becuase we can't absorb it.

Has anyone else been told they can take the pill?

Before the surgery I kept putting things off. I was never good enough. One of the benefits of WLS is that you start to believe in yourself. Check out my blog:
All Things CPAP

Kim O.
on 6/17/11 11:50 pm - Windsor, Canada
I have not had surgery yet, so I hope this is still useful.  My GP has always told me that our bodies cannot absorb it as well.  I am prediabetic, and he gives me B12 shots as treatment.  I asked about taking the pills again as my friend's doctor told her to take the pill form too, and again he said the body won't absorb it.
dancingdaisy
on 6/18/11 12:49 am - Canada
I was also told i could take the pill format...i am tired of the sublingual...
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 2:40 am - Canada
No I am not an expert, I am 2 months and 18 days post op and I get my B-12 injected.  I can not take the strips because I can not take the taste of it no matter the flavor. I get the shot once a month, works for me. Good luck.
Lil-Stinker
on 6/18/11 2:42 am
You can also inject yourself with B12 with a doctors instructions.
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 2:49 am - Canada
I am way to much of a big old chicken for that....LOL. OMG, that is so not for me!  I am afraid of needles. But for those who can inject themselves, that is a BIG plus.
Bonnie ABC
on 6/18/11 3:05 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Hm... well, I think according to all the vitamin guru's on the rny forum, some very knowledgable.  They all say sublingual.  I think if I were you, I'd just stick to what works.   Just sayin'

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
paula-37
on 6/18/11 3:42 am - brantford, Canada

Hi nget the b12 injection once amonth through my doctors office.it seem like it is working for me.i was never told that we cannot absorb it.you have me puzzled.good luck i hope you get the anwser you about this.good luck wiht your weight loss jorueny..take care an d have a wonderful weekend.
SINCERLY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS
PAULA(paula-37)

debralight
on 6/18/11 4:33 am - Canada
 The strips by Jameson that taste like toothpaste but worse aren't labelled as sublingual. 

Nature's bounty makes a sublingual one that tastes like rasberries and is a bit bigger than a baby aspirin that is labelled as sublingual. It is high dose so i only need to take it every day or so. I found them at a larger Shoppers Drug Mart. 

I've found it meets my needs and i have not needed shots and no ugly mint. 
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Chris D.
on 6/18/11 5:13 am - Ottawa, Canada
I'm 2 1/2 years out and have been taking B12 in pill form for 2 years.  My bloodwork always comes back fine. 
SURGEONS GOAL - 163 - SURPASSED!

MY GOAL

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Most Active
Recent Topics