Day 6 post-op constipation!

tango123
on 7/30/11 4:10 am
Does anyone know what I can take so I can FINALLY have a BM
It has been over a week and I feel like I am going to explode (sorry no pun intended)
The colace is a no as it tastes like rubbing alcohol and makes me gag everytime.
Can I take milk of magnesium or something to that so it isn`t too aggressive but enough to get it going...
highlandbear
on 7/30/11 4:25 am - Canada
You should be ok with the milk of magnesium. Just remember to drink lot of water. It will help.
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 4:26 am - Canada
Milk of Magnesia was recommended to me at the hospital - it was on the script I got from the Internist so I picked up a BIG bottle. I'm gonna start on it tomorrow if I still don't have a BM by then.
jennifer_rpn
on 7/30/11 4:26 am
I was prescribed MOM for constipation on my discharge prescription

My   is Quinns_mommy  and she rocks - Thanks for all your support!
koree
on 7/30/11 5:16 am - Toronto, Canada
MOM should be ok - just start with the lowest recommended dosage on the bottle... another one you can try which Dr. Grantcharov and my family doctor recommended was restoralax (SP?) - it's gentle and was told that they sometimes give it to kids when they are backed up - just mix with your water - there is no taste and it does help 

and WELCOME TO THE BENCH!! 
Koree
July 13th, 2010 - Orientation at TWH.....  July 29th, 2010 - Bariatric Nurse Appt.....   August 10th, 2010 - Social Worker.....  September 8th, 2010 - Nutrition Class & Dietitian Appts.....  September 13th, 2010 - Psychologist.....  September 23rd, 2010 - Dietitian and Social Worker meeting with Hubby.....  October 12th, 2010 - Follow up with Social Worker.....  November 5th, 2010 - Met Surgeon - Teodor Grantcharov....  January 7th, 2011 - PATS.....   January 20th, 2011 - SURGERY!! 
Got me an Angel - Leanne1

Leslie W.
on 7/30/11 5:16 am - Cobourg, Canada
LAX A DAY is also good. You mix it in water and it dissolve completely and does not taste or get thick. Not habit forming either.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Pat-60
on 7/30/11 5:42 am
The nurse told me you should be putting a tsp of unflavoured Benefibre in your water or juice each day to help keep you regular.  You're not getting enough fibre and this will give it to you.  It really does work.
Nov 29/10   Referred to St Josephs Hamilton
Dec 6/10    Orientation
Mar 9/11     Nurse, Dietician & Social Worker
Mar 31/11   Internest
May 26/11  Surgeon & pre-surgery class
JULY 11/11  VSG, hernia repair by  Dr Mehran Anvari
Sher1ock
on 7/30/11 10:11 am - Canada
I had the same problem and after three unsuccessful rounds of MOM, the APN suggested a Ducolax suppository. I got the generic version at Shopper's (ask pharmasict - behind the counter @ $0.50). Half an hour later...problem solved!

debralight
on 7/30/11 10:16 am - Canada
A week out you might want to check with your surgeon's office about what they think is easiest on  your baby pouch.

HRRH when i had my surgery said "MOM, every hour on the hour til you go... " Haven't heard of anyone who did that who went into double digits..
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

tango123
on 7/30/11 9:45 pm
Thanks all. I have been taking benefibre 3 x's a day..nada.
The pharmacist mentioned lax-a day but he wanted me to check with the Dr. I called St Mikes and the nurses told me to go to my family Dr....on a Saturday.
Most Active
Recent Topics