anyone had to have a revision??

Sheila S.
on 8/9/11 6:17 am - Canada

Haven't been on in awhile.  Been pretty sick these past 4 months.  about 4 months ago I was complaining of pain in my mid abdomen.  I had my RNY at St. Joes a year ago July 7.  I was in emerg several times in the past 4 months.  They did every test under the sun.  They removed my gallbladder on June 3 as I was having several attacks per week.  When they did a scope before the gallbladder surgery they found I had 4 erosions in my new pouch and put me on prevacid.  That was the beginning of May.  I was admitted June 4 with severe abdo pain and possible complications of gallbladder surg.  They kept me NPO for 5 days and treated the pain and said they couldn't figure out what it was except excess pain from removal of adhesions during the gallbladder surgery and excess pain from the surg itself from the work of going through alot of scar tissue and the possibility the pain and nausea would be from the erosions.   They discharged me 5 days later and I went back to work within 4 days.  I was back in emerg the next week.  They admitted me again with severe abdo pain and nausea.  Couldn't keep nothing in.  Lost alot of weight.  They did a CT and another scope and found an ulcer different from the erosions that were now gone.  I was admitted for 6 days of which 5 were again NPO.  Went back to work and a 3 weeks ago I was admitted with severe dehydration.  When they treated me for that and did another scope to find out why I couldn't keep nothing in and again pain they found that the meds were not helping the ulcer and it got alot bigger and was at the joint of the new pouch and small bowel.  was put on a feeding tube and lots of IV fluids and meds and did revision surgery where the surgeon removed part of my new pouch and 2 inches of the joining small bowel(anastomosis as they called it).  This surgery was so much more painful than the RNY.  That was done a week ago today and I was sent home on Sunday.  With all this I still don't regret my RNY.  I am now back on the diet from the start and am doing the modified fluid stage which sucks because I was eating normal after a year just smaller portions.  I had lost most of my weight that I wanted to lose minus about 10 pounds.  I am now almost underweight and will definitely lose more weight with having to do this diet again and they will then have to alter it later so I will put on a few pounds.  never expected that to ever happen.  from overweight to underweight in just over a year.  My question is has anyone had to have a revision done?  Why and how did it go?

twins4meplus1
on 8/9/11 6:25 am - St Thomas, Canada
Do they know what may have caused your ulcer to begin with (H Pylori maybe)?
Were you taking any meds that could have caused the ulcer to begin with (NSAIDS)?
Ulcer at the anastomosis site is the most common type of ulcer for us. It can be caused by many different things (excessive caffeine is one I have heard about).
Hopefully this is the end of your difficulties and you can now heal and get on with your life.
Sending positive vibes your way.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Sheila S.
on 8/9/11 6:36 am - Canada
Thanks Linda.  No they have no idea what caused it.  I am totally caffeine free 2 years.  NSAID free 2 years.  they checked for the H Pylori and not present.  He is concerned and put me on prevacid for the rest of my life as he is lost to what caused it.  Hope this is the end too.
ToNewBeginnings
on 8/9/11 10:16 pm
Shelia sorry to hear about all you are going through. Keep us posted.
Most Active
Recent Topics