OT - Globe & Mail article on obesity and fertility treatments

Lisa_Toronto
on 9/20/11 9:34 pm - Toronto, Canada

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
look_out_world
on 9/20/11 10:15 pm - Canada
    I really do understand that some decisions that are made are made for our own good.   My beef with this possible decision by the medical community is that it seems to be ok to focus and discriminate against the obese.   
         There would be a huge public outcry if they said things like  no singles would be offered treatment, or smokers, or gays etc etc etc.   It's very frustrating (and hurtful) to me that it seems to be open season on obese people. 

Robin H.
on 9/20/11 10:53 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
   OMG this is awful, I really should have stoped reading at the article and avoided the comments (I should Know Better) but like a train wreck I had to look.  And read all five pages of hate and discrimination.  It is awful some of the comments posted.  I can't believe that this is allowed.  If this was in reference to someones skin color or a genetic birth defect, even height it would be a hate crime this has to stop! I am angry about this, the last socialy acceptable stereotype.  Save yourself the anger and anguish don't read the comments !

Robin

Jacki1965
on 9/21/11 12:33 am - Cambridge, Canada
what a never ending cycle of stupidity our society can be.  I have had fertility issues in the past and as a result my son came to me through the beauty of adoption and for that I am more than thankful.  20 years ago I had many doctors tell me the problem was that I was fat but not one of them offered to help me figure it out.  They just laid blame at my feet which compounded with the guilt I already felt at my own "failures" The doctor I have been currently working with locally (my endocronologist) is an amazing woman who has helped me begin my journey with Gastric Bypass.  She understands so much more below the surface and I feel lucky to have her on my side.  Imagine my disappointment when she advised me that had she been involved with my care 20 years ago, she could have helped me address some of the hormonal issues that were causing my fertility issues, my weight issues and me predisposition to diabetes.  Too bad I met her 10 years after my uterus had to be removed due to the extreme drug treatments I received in our efforts to conceive.  All in all, do we have to be responsible for our own choices?  Absolutley - no question.  But does the medical community get the right to define us based on a random number and conclude that we are "beyond help" - NO WAY!!  Bottom line - in all things medical, we must be our own advocates and long gone are the days of blind faith with the medical community as it stands in our society today...too bad that most doctors can be so progressive with so much and yet so backwards and heartless with very real very human and sometimes very devistating issues...
Highest Weight: 335
Weight when this journey began: 306
Presurgery Weight: 280      
look_out_world
on 9/21/11 1:44 am - Canada
 Jacki that was so well said!!!  You really should post a response to the article

Joyce J.
on 9/21/11 12:37 am - Scarborough, Canada
I heard that on the news this morning, crazy

What they need to do is stop people who can't afford to have kids from having more and more................ people are having 5 or 6 kids and .....................................

Sorry, don't get me started LOL

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 11:51 am
I had fertility issues that were solved by losing weight.  In an ideal world those who are obese with fertility treatments would get priority for WLS so they could lose the weight and then save the system money because they probably wouldn't need expensive treatments.  Just my thought...

Patti K.
on 9/21/11 10:32 pm - Kingston On, Canada
Lisa...I saw this on the news....I never had a problem getting pregant twice...with my weight.   Like anything else, everyone is different and for different reasons women can't get pregant the conventional way...It surely is a can of worms...that is for sure!!  Patti K.

Most Active
Recent Topics