Has Anyone Had a Tummy Tuck?

Audra_and_Todd
on 11/21/11 4:03 am - Barrie, Canada

I am 15 months post op and my surgeon said that I can proceed to take steps to have a tummy tuck. I have lost 85% of my excess body weight and have been mantaining since August. I went to my family doctor this morning to get my referral. Anyone else had a tummy tuck? I understand that OHIP covers the costs if your loose skin hangs below the pubic bone. I'm pretty sure I qualify... but still nervous that I won't. What was your experience? What can I expect?

HW: 330/1ST GW: 165 achieved/2ND GW: 155/CW: 161                            
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 4:05 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Tummy tucks are never covered by OHIP.  What can be covered is called a panniculectomy.  It's strictly removal of the excess skin below the navel.  I self paid for my TT as I didn't want to wait for OHIP approval for the panniculectomy plus my plastic surgeon doesn't work with OHIP.
Audra_and_Todd
on 11/21/11 4:35 am - Barrie, Canada
On November 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM Pacific Time, Tracey 112205 wrote:
Tummy tucks are never covered by OHIP.  What can be covered is called a panniculectomy.  It's strictly removal of the excess skin below the navel.  I self paid for my TT as I didn't want to wait for OHIP approval for the panniculectomy plus my plastic surgeon doesn't work with OHIP.
If you don't mind me asking... How much did it cost? Were you able to have a payment plan?
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 4:42 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I paid $8500 3 years ago.  Prices vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon.  I paid cash for mine but there are medical loans available.  If you qualify for a panniculectomy, your PS may let you pay the difference to upgrade to a full TT and the cost will be much lower than a self pay TT.
Audra_and_Todd
on 11/21/11 5:13 am - Barrie, Canada
On November 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM Pacific Time, Tracey 112205 wrote:
I paid $8500 3 years ago.  Prices vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon.  I paid cash for mine but there are medical loans available.  If you qualify for a panniculectomy, your PS may let you pay the difference to upgrade to a full TT and the cost will be much lower than a self pay TT.
Thanks. I want to be armed with as much info as possible! Do you know how many pounds of excess skin they removed? My FD thinks I have a good 20lbs. Gosh... Good thing I have nice clothes to cover it up! lol
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 5:27 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I had just over 17 lbs removed after losing 166 lbs.  It's a mix of skin, fat, blood and other fluids.
Audra_and_Todd
on 11/21/11 5:51 am - Barrie, Canada
On November 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM Pacific Time, Tracey 112205 wrote:
I had just over 17 lbs removed after losing 166 lbs.  It's a mix of skin, fat, blood and other fluids.
Wowzers! Unbelievable! Do you know how long the waiting list is for OHIP coverage? (Sorry for all the questions)
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 5:55 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I am not sure.  I believe I have seen some have heard back in as fast as 4 weeks and others months.  It really depends how quickly the PS sends it out.  Which PS are you being referred to?
Audra_and_Todd
on 11/21/11 6:10 am - Barrie, Canada
On November 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM Pacific Time, Tracey 112205 wrote:
I am not sure.  I believe I have seen some have heard back in as fast as 4 weeks and others months.  It really depends how quickly the PS sends it out.  Which PS are you being referred to?
I'm not sure yet. There are two that he usually refers to. His secretary will let me know in a few days. Am I allowed to request a surgeon or is it basically whoever works with OHIP?
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 6:13 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
If you want OHIP coverage then you have to make sure any surgeons you see will work with OHIP.  You can call around and ask.  The referral letter is just to cover the cost of the consultation.  Without one, most will charge $100 for the first appointment.  Many have gone to Dr. Nanda in Scarborough when looking for OHIP covered surgeries.  No idea how long you have to wait for an appointment but he seems to get OHIP coverage more often than many other surgeons do.
Most Active
Recent Topics