skin removal surgery

jenniferhyatt
on 1/2/12 8:50 pm - Canada
I was wondering if anyone has gotten skin removal surgery and went through the medical financial aid? My boyfriend has over 35 lbs on exess skin on his stomach and upper body he wants removed and was inquiring about the financial aid since one dr said it would be over 15000 just for the upper body. Is there a different way to get this covered? he went and had his surgery done in the states 3 yrs ago and he was approved for the  skin removal but then they stopped covering it 2 weeks before he was suppose to have the surgery which i dont think is fair.

Monica M.
on 1/2/12 8:59 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
ohip will cover skin removal, for the stomach area, its called a panniculectomy, provided that some criteria are met.  Other people have gone through this process, so i'm sure someone can comment better than I.
Some of the criteria are if you're having frequent rashes under the skin flap, or if the skin hangs down a certain amount, to cover the genitals, i believe. If the issue is rashes, you'll need documentation from your family doctor, he'll need to see the doctor and get prescription creams for the rashes.

it wouldnt hurt to get a referral to a plastic surgeon, from your family doc. See what happens.

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 9:07 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I know a few that used Medicard for their PS but make sure you negotiate for a better interest rate if you do go that route.  The best rate you would get would be if you qualify for a line of credit through your bank, it's a much better rate than any of the medical places offer.

As for coverage, the best way to find out is to get a referral to a plastic surgeon that works with OHIP as they know what they can try for and what they can't.  Not all plastic surgeons work with OHIP so you may want to ask the receptionist at the surgeon's office if he/she works with OHIP for reconstructive surgery after massive weight loss and make sure you tell her the areas involved.  A lot of people have had OHIP coverage using Dr. Nanda in Scarborough and then there is one in London but I forget his name but he has had good luck getting approvals as well.
mom4life
on 1/2/12 9:24 pm - Port Rowan, Canada
The surgeon in London is Dr. Matic.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

twins4meplus1
on 1/3/12 5:21 am - St Thomas, Canada
Dr Matic and Dr Yazdani both at London Health Sciences Centre in London and both work with OHIP.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Catnip
on 1/2/12 10:51 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Has he talked to Dr. N in Toronto Area?

His surgery rates seem to be lower then others and he can get OHIP coverage for some of his work.

I am sure someone will pop on with his the full name and contact information.

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

lbaetz
on 1/2/12 10:56 pm - St. Thomas, Canada
Had a LBL in London done my Dr. Yazdanni.  I unfortunaltely didn't have approval from OHIP but it sounds like he might.

Mary A.
on 1/3/12 1:32 am
I had a plastic surgery consult at the end of September and my plastic surgeon told me if the area below the belly button measures 7 inches or more that it is a good possibility that OHIP will cover the removal.  Above the belly button is considered plastic surgery (cosmetic) from my understanding and that cost is NOT covered by OHIP.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Monica M.
on 1/3/12 3:27 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
really? no belly button? i wonder how much that costs?

Cathy_D
on 1/3/12 6:29 am - Canada
I have also gotten a quote from a plastic surgeon and the $11, 000 isn't in my future for awhile so I will be stuck with my old body...for now. 

I did hear from an acquaintance who is going through the process right now, at the Bar. clinic that after 2 years OHIP is covering 1 surgery only if you have kept the weight off.  Now I don't know how accurate that is as it is almost too good to be true.  May be worth a phone call????  Or does anyone new to the process have any information about this???  It would not be surprising to me if this acquaintance misunderstood.  lol.

Most Active
Recent Topics