CONFUSED! SCARED AND SOO EMOTIONAL

kucletsa
on 3/21/12 12:42 pm - Canada
  I am too confused!  Too scared!'. I have an appt for an orientation on Tues at HRRH!  But was supposed to go to TWH on April 18th orientation. I am really torn on which one to go to???  
I have three gorgeous girls. Twin 3yr olds and a gorgeous 12yr old girl. A very very loving spouse and he poses the question. What do we do if you get really sick?  What if you die?  It can happen to anyone. I am so scared and most of all REALLY emotiOnal. My heart feels this is the right thing to do.  But he is right?  What if something happens to me?

I am physically healthy, no medical issues. Just a really unhappy person not happy in her skin'

What do I do..which hospital do I go to?

REF SENT: DEC 2011  ORIENTATION: APRIL 19TH, 2012!!!!    
Ammi Tu
on 3/21/12 12:49 pm
RNY on 04/13/12
It's a big decision so absolutely normal to be so emotional, scared, confused and unsure. Especially when you don't have all the facts yet because you haven't gone to the orientation. I say go to the orientation TOMORROW - the quicker you get in, the quicker things might go IF you decide to go ahead. With that said, you can choose to not go through with the surgery AT ANY POINT UP UNTIL YOU GO INTO THE OPERATING ROOM. So, really, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by going to learn all you can about your options at the orientation session. You might decide it is definitely not for you. You might decide you want to know more before you decide.

*HUGS*
You will make the best decision for you - and you have lots of time to make it. There are many steps you have to go through before you get to surgery. Lots to learn. Lots of time to change your mind. (For example, it took me a year and 1 month to get from my orientation session to surgery).

Take your husband with you to all appointments so he can learn and ask questions too! It's normal for spouses to be scared; mine is still nervous even though he is very supportive!

Hope this helps!  

Referral: pre-Aug 2010 <>  Info Session: Mar 18/11 <>  Nurse Practioner: Oct  31/11  <>  Behaviourist/Dietitian: Nov 15/11 <> Social Worker: end Nov/11  <>  Endoscopy: Jan 18/12 <>  Education Class: Feb 29/12  <>  Surgeon Mtg: Mar 6, 2012  <>  Called w/Date: 20 Mar, 2012 <> Surgeon: Dr. Mamazza  <> RNY Surgery Date: 13 Apr/12
gods_girl67
on 3/21/12 1:10 pm - Wasaga Beach, Canada
RNY on 03/27/12
I totally agree with elle_dee_see. Go tomorrow to the orientation with your hubby. Access the websites suggested by your bariatric clinic---get as much information as you can! Nothing is more important than making an INFORMED decision. Take the time you need. This IS a BIG decision! You'll decide what's best for you. If you decide not to do the surgery, it doesn't mean you can't revisit the idea some other time.
I totally remember being scared and nervous before I had all of the relevant info. I even began to dream about having to make this decision! Now I am armed and ready to go! My surgery is on Tuesday.
I have no doubt you make the best decision for you.
All the best!

referral: aug 2011; general orientation: Sept 26, 2011; surgeon appt: Oct 5, 2011;
GB Class: Oct 18, 2011; SW & RN: Oct 20, 2011; Dietitian: Nov 14, 2011;
Dietitian: Jan 9, 2012; Surgeon appt: Feb 2, 2012; Optifast start: Mar 6, 2012
Surgery Date: Mar 27, 2012
balou
on 3/21/12 2:48 pm - toronto, Canada
Hi there
I agree with the other posts, I would go to the one on tuesday ,both are great hospitals , if you go sooner the sooner you get the process going , what ever you decide good luck

Anna

ericaFG
on 3/21/12 8:57 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 If you look at statistics, there is a FAR greater chance of you greeting sick and dying as an obese person than the risks of surgery. 
I got my sleeve to be healthy and alive for a LONG time to enjoy my kids and grand kids!

Good luck with your decision!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

kucletsa
on 3/21/12 9:25 pm - Canada
I'd like to thank you all for your kind words. Your right. I should go to orientation and take it from there. The only thing is I am pushing for VSG and there is absolutely no talk about it at all until you meet with the surgeon

Tell me if I am just being way too over..not even sure of the word? I prayed for a sign. My phone beeped I had a email. I opened it and was from one of my mom groups. Titled: how to cope with the death of a parent.

Seriously!? What kind of sign is that??? Stressed!!!
Gabygee
on 3/21/12 10:25 pm - Canada
Okay.
Calm down.

The universe is not trying to tell you something. At least, not something negative.
On the contrary - you have been blessed.
You live in a province where these procedures to save your life are paid for by the state.
And there is a system in place, thanks to those WLS patients who paved the way for us with their experiences and setbacks.

1) Help is available
2) The province WANTS to help you get healthy
3) There are choices
4) Our physicians and bariatric centres of excellence are getting very experienced at this
5) They will ascertain, WITH YOU, which course of action is most appropriate for your body.
6) There is a whoel team available for discussion at the bariatric centre
7) You are not alone - they perform hundreds of these surgeries every week, across the province.

You don't know how lucky you are.
You have a second chance at a normal life.
Take it, and trust the system.

Jackie P.
on 3/21/12 11:16 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
Wow, great post GabbyGee!
onmom
on 3/21/12 10:30 pm
Or the message could be have the surgery so the weight doesn't kill you. The risks of being this overweight are greater then the surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 3/21/12 10:30 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12
I agree with everyone as well..Go to the orientation, learn more about the surgery ask questions, have your husband ask questions. I am one of those types that worries about everything too but this journey is my future! Without this surgery it could be any moment that my body decides enoughs enough. How long until my heart says no more with a BMI of 52.7. How long until I can't live a normal life because I can't control one thing in my life that I have fought for over 20 years to try to control.

I have had thyroid cancer twice. I survived hemi-thyroidectomy surgery twice to remove my thyroid, there were risks of losing my voice, risks of losing my life. But without surgery I had cancer.
I had surgery on my wrist there were risks. I had a tubal after my last child. There were risks..

For the RNY there are risks but to me the risks without it are a whole lot greater. I have been waiting for my turn since July 2010 so in all of this time I have done a whole lot of soul searching, a whole lot of talking crying and hurt. BUT with this surgery I can be the Mom I have always wanted to be, the woman I know I am under this blanket of fat.

You just need to soul search a little more and research the crap out of the process before and after to make the right desicion for you! I wish you luck in your choices...