Just a question

tammalynn
on 4/22/12 11:50 pm - Peterborough, Canada
Well I was wondering, after surgery are you going to be able to drink alcoholic beverages? I don't really drink more than once a yr, but wondered about this? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you, and I hope you all have a great day!!
Surgeon Consultation with Dr Starr-- March 30th/2012 Gastric Class on -April 13th/2012 Registered Dietitian-May 28 /2012 Registered Nurse-May 28/2012
Social Worker-May 28/2012 Surgery Date June 21/2012  
(deactivated member)
on 4/22/12 11:55 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Depends which centre you go through.  I believe Ottawa tell their patients never to drink alcohol again whereas most of the other ask you to wait at least 6 months.  I chose to wait much longer as I didn't want to slow my weight loss down and didn't want to give my liver extra work to do besides getting rid of the fat.
Radiogirl39
on 4/22/12 11:59 pm - Canada
Humber says at least 6 months.  They don't want you having the extra calories or transferring any food addictions to alcohol.  I think they'd be happier if we never even smelled alcohol again though since they made it out to be devil juice, lol.  Also, some people can no longer tolerate it after surgery.

I'm 5 1/2 mos out and I have had a little wine and a vodka with soda & a splash of cranberry.  I seem to tolerate it just fine, whether that is good or bad, I'm not sur yet, lol.

Julie

Monica M.
on 4/23/12 12:58 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
It's not advised in the early stages, because your liver is doing a lot of work, just processing all that fat leaving your body.

It's also not advised later on, because you shouldnt drink your calories. Alcohol can also lower your inhibitions, and you may find it more difficult to say no to food that you don't really need.

I started drinking about 6 months out. I just have a glass or two of wine now and then.

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 1:31 am
Empty calories as they say.
But my husband and I go out for our one beer (almost every) week with another couple. I get 1/2 pint now as opposed to the full pint. Of course being in Nicaragua I've missed that for 3 months.
I've had wine, rum and diet coke a few times in the past year but I waited until I got to my first goal.
ToNewBeginnings
on 4/23/12 2:34 am
I used to drink once or twice a year. I'm 19 months post- op and I could if I wanted to.

I chose not to as I would rather eat my calories and alcohol makes me feel crappy and then I tend to overeat.

aprilflowers
on 4/23/12 3:15 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

I've always been a huge drinker. I was a tank!

Next month will be 5 months post-op for me. I'm going to Halifax for the May Long weekend and will try a glass of wine then. Navigating the drinking scene will definitely be something I need to be careful with.

Moselle
on 4/23/12 5:08 am - Athens, Canada
 Hey April - I used to be a fairly big drinker/party girl too. Now I'm usually the DD when we go out but I find that I can have a couple off drinks on the weekend and leave it at that. Just be careful with your first attempts until you see how well you will tolerate the alcohol. Wine really effects me quickly. I sometimes have a wine spritzer and it's better. I'm best with either Canadian 67 (lower calories) or vodka and crystal light. 

I too waited 6 months before I had tried alcohol. The biggest thing is to remember that you don't have the same tolerance and that even after one drink you are probably over the legal limit and you shouldn't drive.

Enjoy your trip to Halifax.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

stephanie2011
on 4/23/12 4:06 am - toronto, Canada
Thanks for asking that question - I have also been wondering this as I would miss my wine if I couldn't at least have a glass now and then.  I basically told my dh that he has a DD for the next year at least :) 
Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

tammalynn
on 4/23/12 4:27 am - Peterborough, Canada
Thank you everyone for all the information, I asked as no one had really mentioned it yet, so it's good to know!! I certainly won't miss my one yr drink!! Lol.. thanks for your anwsers,,,So glad I'm able to come on here and ask, Thank you!
Surgeon Consultation with Dr Starr-- March 30th/2012 Gastric Class on -April 13th/2012 Registered Dietitian-May 28 /2012 Registered Nurse-May 28/2012
Social Worker-May 28/2012 Surgery Date June 21/2012  
Most Active
Recent Topics