Anyone get a medic alert bracelet??

coppertop84
on 7/21/12 7:39 am - Canada
I've read a few articles saying people who have bariatric surgery should have medic alert bracelets. I forgot to ask about it when I was at the clinic the other day so I thought I'd ask y'all. Has anyone gotten one? Do you think it's a good idea/bad idea? 
If so-- what did you have put on it? 

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/12 7:56 am - Straford, Canada
 I have one and I think its a great idea!  If you're passed out and they go to scope you for whatever reason, esp a paramedic, lots of luck!  

Mine says; Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass, No Blind NG Tubes Sugars or NSAIDS, Call for info and my medic alert number and their phone number.  As I have since had my gallbladder out they will be told that as well.  The Medic Alert info includes my emergency contacts and my medical history, doctor's name, hospitals, etc.

It costs each month but imo its an insurance policy I hope never pays off!  Regards, Ian  
PatXYZ
on 7/24/12 4:56 am
I hope you've read some of the responses below about why a medic alert bracelet is useless at best and dangerous at worst and that you will reconsider. The information you have on yours may cost you your life in an emergency where sugars or NSAIDs are the first line of treatment (hypoglycaemic coma, stroke), and the information about NG tubes is a myth. Don't waste your money.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
(deactivated member)
on 7/24/12 6:35 am - Straford, Canada
 I have read it with interest and disagree.  I have checked with my doctor and my first cousin who is a paramedic in Ottawa and they concur with my opinion.  Thanks though!
Ottawa34
on 7/28/12 3:40 pm - Ottawa, Canada

small world I work at dispatch ... who's ur cousin ? 

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/12 8:34 am - Toronto, ON
 Hey
I am having surgery aug 8, yikes!!  I have just ordered one myself ur says:
Gastric bypass 8/12
No blind ng tubes 
No NSAIDs 
I think they r a good idea medics need to know as much about a person if they need to treat them for any reason. Hope this helps!
Tara
debralight
on 7/21/12 8:57 am - Canada
I decided against doing this
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Cwuddy
on 7/21/12 9:54 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12
 i just recently found out im allergic to penicillin so i have to get a bracelet anyway...i am approved for a VSG and i wonder if i should add that to it...hmmm 

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

PatXYZ
on 7/24/12 4:57 am
Please read through the responses to understand why this is a very bad idea.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics