Greek Yogurt and Sugar Free Pudding

wants2Bfitagain
on 9/4/12 5:49 am
Need some advice here. I am currently pre op but looking for post op advice

Greek Yogurt- In the states they have all kinds of flavours of the okisos (sp)  When I looked at the nut guide tho they have 130 cal. Is that not too high of cals for the greek yogurt?
Post Op should I stay away from the flavoured fruit kinds??

And also Sugar Free pudding, in the states all kinds of flavours but again has 70 cals with the milk. Is that too many cals?? post op??

Trying to stock up on some items but want to make sure its the right ones
Thanks

Referral-April 20th  Orientation- June 12th Windsor
NP- July 23, Nut Class Aug 7th SW Aug 9th DR Aug 14th
2nd NUT & SW Sept 27th
Surgery Nov 6th Dr. Hagen HRRH

Patm
on 9/4/12 5:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I have the o% fat with no fruit and it is lower in calories. I add fruit myself. I had the sugar free jello puddings but not too often since they have no nutritional value. I did put protein powder in it a few times post op but very seldom have them now. I am 7 mths post op
Everytime I put something in my mouth I have to think will this help me reach the 67g of protein a day the dietitian set for me. If it's not helping I don't bother eating it

Gabygee
on 9/4/12 6:04 am - Canada
As you go through the journey from pre- to post-op, you will become the best label reader in the world.

And you'll start to notice things OTHER than calories, which is what we fatties used to focus on.
Instead, you're going to obsess about fats and sugars, (and carbs in general).

You will find with ANY fruity joghurt, whether low-fat/high protein or not, that the sugar content is usually too high for us RNY'ers.

We should be staying below the 10 g mark - if possible below 5 g per serving.
I NEVER buy the flavoured kind of joghurt. I add sugar-free syrups if necessary, and live off fresh fruit with everything these days.

Monica M.
on 9/4/12 6:24 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
most flavoured greek yogurts are high in sugar. You're better off getting unflavoured, and adding your own fruit or sweetener to it (maybe a flavoured sf syrup or something like that.)

what's the protein count on the SF pudding?

wants2Bfitagain
on 9/4/12 6:35 am
Thanks for all the info, I will watch the sugar content vs cal's

As for protein only from milk other than that no protein in it.

I have a few recieps from here that say the SF cheesecake pudding flavor mixed with greek yogurt is really good. That is why I was buying them up lol. Maybe it was more so to spice up the yogurt. Will just buy the vanilla next time.

2nd NUT & SW Sept 27th

Monica M.
on 9/4/12 7:04 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
vanilla yogurt? likely also has sugar in it. Plain yogurt is what you're looking for. You can mix SF pudding mix into it, tastes very yummy.

wants2Bfitagain
on 9/4/12 7:15 am
Thanks plain got it lol
BTW I checked my oikos greek non fat yogurt and it has 19g of sugar holly cow

Good thing for you girls to explain this to a newbe
Thanks again

2nd NUT & SW Sept 27th

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/12 7:18 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Your Oikos must be one of the flavoured ones because the plain one is only 6 grams of sugar.
NorthernStar
on 9/4/12 8:42 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I eat 3/4 cup of 0% plain greek yogurt (Liberte brand) every day and it has only 6 grams of sugar. All yogurt will have some sugar in it, it's the lactose. The flavoured greek yogurts have a ton of sugar in them, I would avoid them. Get some plain and flavour it yourself. You can add NSA jam, some fresh or frozen fruit, sweeten with splenda, etc. I just eat it plain now, sometimes add some frozen blueberries.

I coudln't stand it at first but now I love it plain.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/12 4:03 am, edited 9/4/12 4:03 am - Straford, Canada
 I may be totally off base (yes Mon, I know, lol) but I tend to concentrate on the protein grams a food is giving me, if the protein is as high as the carbs or higher I'm good to go, though I occassionally find a food that is too sweet even then, so I chuck it, but its the protein I'm after (I guess that makes me a protientarian (remember the wendy's commercial that advertised the meataterian?))!  I use the unflavoured plain greek yoghurt (what is on sale), add some fruit to the bowl and a tablespoon or two of kashi lean cereal for some crunch.  Makes a nice snack.  Regards, Ian
Most Active
Recent Topics