food guilt...self indulgent rant

slrm2m2
on 11/10/12 11:15 pm - Canada

I reached and exceeded my weight loss goal.  I don't need to lose anymore weight.  I'm 5'11 and my weight has bounced up and down  between 143 and 146 for about 3 months now.  I need to eat between 1800 to 2000 cals a day to maintain my weight.  These should all be good things, but I feel so guilty about eating so much!  Anyone else trying to maintain their weight find it difficult not to want to slip back into restriction/diet mode?   I don't know anyone else that eats these many calories a day...especially at 10 months out.  I feel like I am somehow "cheating" on the wls post-op diet....but I reached goal and now my job is to just maintain, right?  It's such a head trip to be trying NOT to lose weight after a LIFETIME of trying to lose weight.  I feel crazy!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

JJ_
on 11/10/12 11:23 pm

Have you met with the nutritionist to work on your maintenance phase of eating?

You have lost your weight post-op quite quickly and your brain has not caught up with the speed of the event.  You may want to consider taking things one day at a time.  Most posters have indicated that they were told by their nutritionist to add more carbs to their intake.  However, you probably need professional advice on what to eat based on what your currently eat.

You should feel crazy because you have accomplished a goal that you have had for a long time....almost overnight.  When all other attempts of losing weight and keeping it off have failed before.......

Congrats and enjoy the craziness until you have mentally come to grips with your new reality.

Judy

happypants
on 11/11/12 12:15 am - Ottawa, Canada

Sandy my thought is that since you are only ten months post op your body is still in weight loss mode. Your body is still only absorbing a percentage of what your actual caloric intake is.

They say our metabolism levels out between 18 months and 24 months. At this point your body goes back to normal. After the 18- 24 months your body absorbs all calories in. This is when the dreaded "bounce back" occurs.

My suggestion would be to continue eating your 1800-2000 calories per day if you are happy with the weight you are currently at. I would also really monitor your weight over the next 8-14 months as your metabolism will change.

In my case I am 16 months post op. My starting weight was 270 lbs. I now weight 152 lbs, I am 5'7". I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day. Realizing that there is a good chance of the dreaded bounce back. I am conscious of this fact so I have allowed my weight to drop this low.

In your case I wouldn't be concerned about the amount of calories your are taking in as long as your food choices are good wholesome food.

Sandy you are doing everything right...Keep up the good work!!

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/12 4:04 am - Straford, Canada

for Sandy and Ann, how much time/attention do you pay to the 50 % protein/25% carb/25% fat percentages (or how do you split up that pie?)? Thanks!  

slrm2m2
on 11/11/12 4:11 am - Canada

Thanks to each of you for the replies and supportive words.  Ian, I have myfitnesspal set at 35%carb/35%protein/30%fat but that is since I hit my goal.  When I was trying to lose I ate a bit more protein and had it set at 40% protein/30%carbs/30%fat.  Of course, I didn't and still don't always eat exactly to these targets.  My main focus is always still getting enough protein.  

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/12 4:26 am - Straford, Canada

Thank you Sandy and congrats on reaching your goal!  kiss

happypants
on 11/11/12 4:41 am - Ottawa, Canada

Ian to be totally honest I don't pay much attention to the percentages, but that is just me. I try and incorporate protein first at every meal or snack though..

My philosophy is to eat  three well balanced meals per day consisting of protein, complex carbs, and of course a low fat diet. I am a firm believer that we need to eat realistically in order for this weight loss tool we have been given to work effectively. If I carve something I will have it, in moderation. Before WLS moderation didn't exist in my vocabulary. 

One the most part when I have a snack I try and make it a protein first snack. For example I often have a small apple and I will cut it into sections and dip it into hemp hearts for added nutrition.

Some days I really mess up my meal planning and eat garbage food but I have learned that tomorrow is a brand new day....

Sorry Ian....I'm babbling, Oh Gawd I hate when I start doing this lol

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/12 4:44 am - Straford, Canada

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Ann!  kiss

happypants
on 11/11/12 4:55 am - Ottawa, Canada

No problem Ian! My method of doing things worked/works well for me. My starting weight was 270, I am now down to 152 lbs. Some days I want to lose those last two pounds and other days I think I'm nuts for wanting to.

How is your weight loss going?

Ann :-)

slrm2m2
on 11/11/12 5:14 am - Canada

What are hemp hearts, Ann?  They sound interesting.

Most Active
Recent Topics