my Back issues update...ugh!(LONG)

tango123
on 12/25/12 5:35 am, edited 12/25/12 5:36 am

Ok so most of you know my back went out at the beginning of Dec.

Here is the readers digest version. Dec 1st I woke up with a twinge in my back. I thought it was my period, ovulation causing me grief. Then on the 5th, it went completely out. I was not able to walk at all. ( I was to do my police test on dec8th...didnt happen) Then on the 8th my husband took me to the walk in clinic as per my request because I still couldn't walk, I was in tears the entire drive over (5mins) and literally crawled in. The dr took one look at me and said there was nothing he could do for me that we needed to go to the ER. I was a crying mess because the thought of having to get back to the van and then get into the ER was devastating. I couldnt sit, stand or walk, how was \i going to wait in the er. So the clinic dr ordered an ambulance. They picked me up, took me to Lakeridge Oshawa and the Dr took 3 mins, prescribed me hydromorphone (which I ended up being allergic too). The nurse made me get off the tretcher, walk down th hall in tears to give me a pill and was to sit in a chair and wait...wtf!

So I told her I cant and I will just go home and lay down. She was disgusted I wouldnt obey her demands, and stomped off leaving me in pain and in tears. so down I went and lay on the gross hospital floor. So that didnt fare well with the staff there and they put me back on the stretcher. A nice nurse then wrapped my hips in warm blankets, until another nurse 5 mins later said can you walk now? So I texted hubby to come get me. The nurse then told me to go the long way to the exit. I wasnt allowed to use emerg doors because they were an enter not an exit!!

Needless to say I crawled out of the hospital on hands and knees!

The next day wasnt any bettr. I got worse, so my boss suggested I go to Bowmanville. I got there on the floor of hubbys van because it was the only way I could go ..on my stomach on the floor.

They wouldnt give hubby a stretcher to bring me in so I crawled and collapsed in the doors. then they took me seriously.

I was given pain shots..didnt work. xrays that reveiled nothing and a requisition for an mri for 2 weeks from then, sent home with morphine that didnt work either.

I endured an entire week of not walking , vomitting from pain until that following Sat. went to St Mikes figured maybe it was my stomach causing pain in my back. They had me thinking I was crazy! Waited 6 hours. Dr. saw me for 5 mins and gave me percs and requisition for a pelvic ultrasound which he did against his will. Off he sent us. Finally my family dr finally saw me on that Mon. after begging for an appt before xmas.

Once I saw hr and she saw the pain I was in and heard

my symptoms as I told Every dr I saw, she ordred and emergency mri. She was worried I may have something called Cauda Equina syndrome. She didnt think I had it because its rare , but better safe than sorry!

I went in the next day at 830 for the mri, by 1030 my dr was on the phone telling me I needed to go to sunnybrook asap! I had 2 herniated discs, and a tear and most likely had this syndrome.

Fast forward. went to sunnybrook Wed. they had to out weigh surgery asap that night or the next  morning. I had it the next morning.

So i had emergency back surgery on Thurs and was released on Sat.

3 hospitals misdiagnosed me and I could have been left paralyzed and may have permanent nerve damage from the delay. Merry F'ing Xmas!!!

I am just thankful I woke from surgery and can walk. I am walking with a walker and i am excited I can use the electric carts at walmart for boxing day woohoo!

I just want everyone to stick to their guns and keep going to anyone who will listen about you or ailment. If I was a wall flower and didnt fight for what I knew wasnt normal, I may have been left paralyzed and my dreams and life shattered,

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/12 6:09 am - Guelph, Canada

HOLY F#CK!

i am so glad you are on the mend but that's garbage what you had to go through 

gentle hugs and happy shopping in the electric scooter!

2mar
on 12/25/12 7:55 am
RNY on 09/20/12

terrible you had to go through that!!! very sorry.

But trilled that you are getting better and that the pain is not a bit more under control

Take care

Cuter_w_Curves
on 12/25/12 8:14 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

HOLY EFFITY EFFING HECK!

I am really glad your GP was on it and figured it out... I am even more glad Sunnybrook is fabulous...

I wish I could say I was shocked about Lakeridge Oshawa or Bowmanville... but I am not. The ONLY person who gets appropriate care and consideration there is... My daughter (or anyone who I go in with... Apparently I am scary or something).

*gentle virtual hugs*

Oh and patient relations at Lakeridge. Please... Please follow up on your treatment there. Things don't change unless people speak up. I spoke up about a Dr on the ER rotation about a year ago and he's no longer on the standard rotation.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

DebsDream
on 12/25/12 9:07 am

Unbelievable!!!! So glad you finally was heard and it's sorted out now. Take good care of yourself and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Orientation GGH: Mar '11 --- Surgeon: Oct 23, '12 --- Pre-Op: Nov 13, '12 --- SURGERY GGH,Dr. Reed:Nov 22, '12                 

Lolabug
on 12/25/12 9:23 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

Glad you are going to be on the mend. Happy Boxing Day shopping!

ybfat
on 12/25/12 9:24 am - Canada

Holy crap!!!  Thank g=d for sunnybrook!! Who did your surgery?  Just so awsom that you are now on the mend!!!  I know you must be feeling so much better.Very happy for you to finally be able to move forward.  Merry Effen Christmas to you!!! Enjoy

Megan M.
on 12/25/12 10:27 am - Canada

That's just shameful what you went thrugh.  So hoping you recover quickly.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Julia P.
on 12/25/12 10:36 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

OMG, that is brutal!  I'm so sorry that you were treated so poorly.  Thank goodness you got the correct diagnosis and surgery in time, before any permanent damage was done.  Take care of yourself and I hope you heal quickly!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/12 10:52 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

OMG, how horrible. I hope you are on the mend now. Big gentle hugs to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics