Baby food vs puree your own

aidan
on 2/6/13 9:56 pm - Canada

Hi all,

Just wanted to see what everyone did during their pureed foods phase. Anyone go the baby food way? Just started optifast today....this is really happening!

Patm
on 2/6/13 10:03 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I tried one baby food and donated the rest to a food bank. they make it far too bland. Fruit was okay but anything else was gross

HopefulBee
on 2/6/13 10:23 pm, edited 2/6/13 10:23 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
RNY on 01/18/13

I am in the pureed stage now & am doing my own. In the book we get from our clinic it does say we can use baby food, but the dietician told me don't use baby food, it's not appealing, it isn't made for adults, & you need to get used to preparing your own food, trying different foods & finding out what your new pouch can & can't handle.

I wasn't planning on using baby food anyways....far too bland for me!!

p.s...good luck with Opti & the rest of your journey!

Referral from family doctor: April 2011

Surgery date: JAN 18, 2013 @ St Joe's Hamilton with Dr. Anvari

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/6/13 10:41 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

If you are going to go the babyfood route... Most of the meats and veggies taste like arse. ummm... uh... bland... no... ARSE!

There are also typically a LOT... LOT... LOT... of sugars in many of them. There are organic ones that are better but I opted out of all the pre-made stuff and did it myself. I was glad to have not wasted the money on it also.

Outside of the gerber custard, gerber bartlet pears, and a few other fond memories I have of fruit ones... It's not nice. My daughter wouldn't touch any of it as a baby and I tried one of every jar... Was kind of funny at the time but really became food for thought when I considered if for this.

If you are going to do babyfood... http://www.sweetpeababyfood.com/sweetpeababyfood.php this brand seems to be one of the better options. The nutritional content is way more in line with read food and because it is frozen it is not chalk full of preservatives, and artificial stuff.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

aidan
on 2/6/13 10:49 pm - Canada

Thanks for the info. I made all of my daughter's food but for some reason the puree stage just seems a bit daunting to me right now.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/7/13 1:25 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

It is really not so bad... For the short time we are doing it.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Heathergetbetter
on 2/6/13 11:55 pm - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

I bought a few jars of baby food, mainly the ground chicken. Most of them are still in the cupboard. I used them when I was on the go, like a pate on melba toast. I loved my magic bullet during the puree phase and made many meat salads in it. (canned meat, fat free mayo, a bit of onion & relish). It worked great for hardboiled egg salad, ham salad, chicken etc. I also pureed shrimp and seafood sauce and that turned out well too.

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
Lolabug
on 2/7/13 12:33 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

Hmmmm, shrimp and seafood sauce purred together (making a mental note). I've never thought of that but makes total sense. thanks!

Megan M.
on 2/7/13 1:47 am - Canada

I used some baby food meats.  I didn't mind them, and it was just plain easy for me.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

katzmeow13
on 2/7/13 2:50 am

We bought a bunch ... Joey said... Hmmmmmm this baby food banana doesn't taste like baby or banana....

of course my trout was... Why exactly would you buy baby food banana...?? It has to be the easiest thing ever to mash up?

so we ended up giving everything away including the organic frozen stuff.

he just finely chopped or puréed whatever I was eating... And now that it's my turn I do the same.

i do eat a fair bit of Greek yogurt , motts apple/pear.... I can't seem to find a SF pudding that taste any good or doesn't make me feel crappy.

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Most Active
Recent Topics