• toast with PB
  • an after-work Dark and Stormy
  • when my son cooks a "fancy" pasta dinner for us
  • Stella Luna gelato
  • not measuring and weighing food!

I won't miss;

• getting dizzy after going up two flights of stairs at work
  • feeling achy every morning when I wake up
  • shopping at Additionelle and Reitmans (although I appreciate their choices for plus-size women)
  • feeling short of breath when I hike, paddle, ski, walk, etc
  • worrying about my cholesterol, blood pressure, etc
  • feeling invisible
  • having my strength and activity levels underestimated by others
  • feeling limited when trying to do the activities I love
  • wearing primarily slip-on shoes
  • wearing only long and loose tops
  • struggling to reach certain parts of my own body (nuf said)
  • feeling that I am not living my fullest life

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Patm
on 4/14/13 1:48 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Under your things you will miss I think you can take off cheese and fruit., just maybe not the baquette

I now have my wine 1/2 after dinner but still have wine. Not until 7 mths out and it hits you like a brick.

cherry pie. maybe a bite a year out if you can stop at the bite. Or there are so many recipes to make alternatives

PB, natural on melba toast is one of my snacks

Measuring and weighing becomes second nature. I often pre measure my meals for lunch and freeze them

It is a different way of life but there are alternatives for things you really want. Some people even are able to drink the odd beer. I can't take the gas but that is me.

And yes after is definitely a better life. I wish I had done this years earlier. I am 61 and want to make up for lost time.

Good luck

kayakgirl
on 4/14/13 5:36 am - Canada

Thanks Pat,

I'm curious about recipes to satisfy my craving for cherry pie. I guess I should start now trying to replace certain food "loves" with better alternatives. Can you suggest a website with good post-op recipes?

Jennifer

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Patm
on 4/14/13 6:17 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

A lot of people like WLS for Dummies. It is a good book and includes recipes. I use http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/ Just ask to be included. I just used one of the chicken recipes last night for crispy strips. turned out great.

The world according to eggface A lot of people like her eggbites for a quick snack. She has other good recipes as well.

There are also a lot of low carb websites. If you have a favourite recipe look at it and see what substitutes you can come up with

mona8
on 4/14/13 6:29 am - Kingston, Canada
Bariatric foodie.com, and if you have pinterest there are a ton of recipies on there!

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

kayakgirl
on 4/14/13 7:01 am - Canada

Thanks, Pat and Mona... I'll bookmark those sites!

Leanne1
on 4/14/13 8:02 am - Newmarket, Canada

Under your list for  "will miss";.... ( I am 2.5yrs out now but was able to eat some of these things early out)

• trying out new craft beers from local breweries  ---> I never have liked beer but the odd sip to try from hubby's isn't too bad
  • fancy cheeses with fruit, baguette, and wine for dinner ---> I eat TOOONNNNNES of cheese and different fruits, some fruits like my tummy better then others
  • cherry pie  ---> There are tonnes of different places to find recipes (already given here) you can also substitute sugars with splenda or other sweetners 
  • turkey stuffing  ---> I still eat stuffing at times, just not like I used to before surgery!
  • Art-is-In Cafe eggs benny ---> I'd eat eggs benny! Not early out with the english muffin but I'd eat the rest of it. (I make egg mcmuffins.. english muffin, egg, ham, and cheese) I eat half for breakie then half for snack
  • Pressed Cafe waffles  ---> bariatricfoodie has some GREAT breakfast ideas! She does "protein pancakes" I'm sure she may do waffles too..
  • Vinho Verde ---> I'd wait a year for any alcohol.. utilize your first year to lose as much as you can and let your liver adjust
  • toast with PB ---> I eat this ALLLLLL the time on weigh****cher bread! 
  • an after-work Dark and Stormy... I don't know what this is.. lol
  • when my son cooks a "fancy" pasta dinner for us ---> He could still make it but a mouthful will be all you need
  • Stella Luna gelato  ---> I'm sure it has alot of sugar but there might be a sugar free or NSA gelato you can try 
  • not measuring and weighing food! ---> I still weigh my foods occasionally at 2.5yrs out 

I won't miss;

• shopping at Additionelle and Reitmans (although I appreciate their choices for plus-size women)
  • feeling invisible

AGREE to all of these ones!!

kayakgirl
on 4/14/13 10:04 am - Canada
On April 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM Pacific Time, Leanne1 wrote:

Under your list for  "will miss";.... ( I am 2.5yrs out now but was able to eat some of these things early out)

• trying out new craft beers from local breweries  ---> I never have liked beer but the odd sip to try from hubby's isn't too bad
  • fancy cheeses with fruit, baguette, and wine for dinner ---> I eat TOOONNNNNES of cheese and different fruits, some fruits like my tummy better then others
  • cherry pie  ---> There are tonnes of different places to find recipes (already given here) you can also substitute sugars with splenda or other sweetners 
  • turkey stuffing  ---> I still eat stuffing at times, just not like I used to before surgery!
  • Art-is-In Cafe eggs benny ---> I'd eat eggs benny! Not early out with the english muffin but I'd eat the rest of it. (I make egg mcmuffins.. english muffin, egg, ham, and cheese) I eat half for breakie then half for snack
  • Pressed Cafe waffles  ---> bariatricfoodie has some GREAT breakfast ideas! She does "protein pancakes" I'm sure she may do waffles too..
  • Vinho Verde ---> I'd wait a year for any alcohol.. utilize your first year to lose as much as you can and let your liver adjust
  • toast with PB ---> I eat this ALLLLLL the time on weigh****cher bread! 
  • an after-work Dark and Stormy... I don't know what this is.. lol
  • when my son cooks a "fancy" pasta dinner for us ---> He could still make it but a mouthful will be all you need
  • Stella Luna gelato  ---> I'm sure it has alot of sugar but there might be a sugar free or NSA gelato you can try 
  • not measuring and weighing food! ---> I still weigh my foods occasionally at 2.5yrs out 

I won't miss;

• feeling invisible

AGREE to all of these ones!!

I really like beer and know that I will probably miss it most of all. I only drink it a couple times per month but  soooo enjoy it! I also really enjoy going out to lots of neat cafes here in Ottawa. I'll have to rethink that by finding other types of  non-food related outings and treats.

(A Dark and Story is rum, lime and ginger beer- it's yummy and makes me feel like I'm in Jamaica!)

Most Active
Recent Topics