Blood pressure and Heart meds crushed = YUCK!!!

smarkone
on 5/12/13 1:09 am

I have to take Blood pressure, aspirin and heart meds first thing in the morning they have to be crushed I have tried apple sauce, yogurt and hot cereal they all taste like poison ( not that I have ever eaten poison, but thats how I imagine poison to taste) the lipitor at night is the worst it makes me gag. Does anyone have any better ideas on how to get this stuff down, and I did ask the pharmacist if they come in liquid and they don't.

thanks, and Happy Mothers Day All!!

Sharon

Referral sent Sept. 2011, Orientation Oct. 2012, 1st appt. with Surgeon Nov. 2012, Nut, Nurse and SW Nov. 2012, Dr. Glazer Jan 2013, Stress test, echo Feb 2013, 2nd appt with Surgeon March 2013, PATTS April 23, 2012  surgery May 8, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/13 1:36 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Put the crushed pill in your mouth and drink some water.  It goes down a lot quicker that way and less aftertaste.

Needanewbeginning
on 5/12/13 2:05 am, edited 5/12/13 2:05 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I have BP meds as well but was advised by Dr Glazer and Dr Hagen that after my surgery I cannot take my aspirin. You can?

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

smarkone
on 5/12/13 3:01 am

Yes I was told the same thing by Dr. Glazer before my surgery but after the surgery he gives you a form with all your meds that you were on prior to the surgery and he checks which ones to continue, discontinue and hold, he actually gave me 2 forms the first 1 said to discontinue all but 1, then when I was having problems with my blood pressure he gave me another form saying continue all but 1 and the aspirin was 1 on the ones to continue.

jay_dee_767
on 5/12/13 2:11 am - Canada

Was just going to say aspirin is not allowed ,no NSAIDS.

Yes crushed pills are so gross and happy I no longer have to do them

Jason

Referral Recieved November 13/12  Orientation Nov.19/12 meet Dr.Klein and NUT Nov .26/12  , Meet the social worker and RN on Dec. 6/12 ,DR.Glazer Dec.13/12 Meet Dr.Klein and pick up optifast Jan.16th 2013 Patts Feb.19th,2013, Surgery March 5th,2013

Jen1984
on 5/12/13 2:56 am - trenton, ontario, Canada

Yeah I also was told by the nurse before being released no aspirin only tylenol because we can no longer take nsaids

Surgery Date May 7th 2013 at Humber with Dr. Klein

Needanewbeginning
on 5/12/13 3:07 am, edited 5/12/13 3:09 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Well, I will be honest with you, as much as I have complete trust in Dr Glazer, my cardiologist agrees NSAIDs are not permitted after this surgery. Even though my script is for 81mg its off my list. 

Even your pharmacist would tell you that. It's possible he overlooked this, so honestly until you can reach him directly tomorrow I would stay off them. I am terrified of changing my meds due to my cardiac arrest, but fear of an issue from taking NSAIDs is a real concern.

I am sorry, I don't want to sound like a know it all or anything like that, but just think its something you need to ask him again, Dr Glazer actually told me I could take my aspirin the morning of my surgery, wrote it on a sheet of paper, when I showed this to the nurse during my patts she said no no no, absolutely not. I called my brother in law, an anesthesiologist he said no kidding of course you don't and won't after wls. So, I called Dr Glazers office, asked his gal to check with him, she called me back to say, to be safe, stop the day prior too surgery and after surgery I will not be taking them as they are NSAIDs. 

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Patm
on 5/12/13 5:02 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Perhaps instead of crushing split the pills in two. That is what I did for lipitor. They only have to be the size of m&m's. I have not crushed a pill ever

zephie
on 5/12/13 5:26 am - Moose Factory, Canada

You can buy a pill splitter at Shoppers Drug Mart for about $15 ...my daughter Jen who is having WLS in July has tried her pills that way to practice and its a breeze compared to crushing them,

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

Blu-Diva
on 5/12/13 9:38 pm - Hamilton, Canada

I know its gross but its just for a little while

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics