Dieting before

cdnmacgirl
on 6/23/13 7:52 am - Canada

Who's dieting before the opti - and what are you following as a guide? A specific menu planner? Making it up from the Canada Food Guide on your own? Are you being helped by a nutritionist/dietitian? or are you just eating 'normally'?

thanks

andrea

Referral sent Feb 27, 2013 | Orientation in Guelph May 16, 2013 | First set of appointments August 19, 2013 | pre op food class August | Final sign off on Nut/SW/Nurse Jan 29 | Post Op class April 7, 2014 | Surgery with Dr Jules July 16, 2014 in Guelph

Katiebear291
on 6/23/13 8:03 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I am personally just trying to get in the habit of planning, measuring, pre packaging my meals, eating slowly, giving up caffeine, increasing protein, reading labels etc.

So pretty much be conscious of the food choices I make, and measuring the portions. 

so not so much a diet as just getting into healthy habits that you will have to practice the rest of your life anyways - I find if i take the time to plan my week i eat better because then I don't let myself order out because i am too hungry to cook because it is already ready to eat!

I have lost about 4 lbs this month.. not alot but better than my constant gain!

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Corinna H.
on 6/23/13 8:08 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 07/03/13

Before opti I was trying to watch what I ate, I was reading labels and being mindful of what I was eating. I knew that I had to make some changes as my new life means a lot of changes. I figured I didn't want to gain any weight knowing I was just going to lose it. I did have some advice from my NUT. I am glad, and I did lose some weight. Now I am on opti and I am glad I did it.

HW: 293.4 SW: 261.4 CW: 161 Referral - Dec 5/12.  Orientation: Feb 21/13. Upper GI and Ab u/s March 7/13. RN, NUT, SW Apr 8/13. 1st appt Dr. Klein Apr 11/13. fu NUT May 2/13. Dr. Glazer May 27/13. 2nd appt Dr. Klein June 3/13. Opti June 19/13. PATTS June 20/13 . RNY - July 3, 2013   

smallisland
on 6/23/13 2:48 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hi, I have been seeing a dietician for a year and following the Canada Food Guide the best I can.  I do occasionally have a treat but find I have to be very careful that one doesn't turn into more...it does sometimes. I have lost about 46lbs. I continue to be aware of what I eat but should probably be measuring more.....been guessing a lot lately :( 

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Monica9811
on 6/23/13 9:41 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I started by giving up diet coke, having a protein shake at breakfast every morning and limiting my carbs and sugar.  It definitely helps to prepare you for the future!  Good luck!

roxytrim
on 6/23/13 10:51 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I found "living the lifestyle" helped to better prepare myself both mentally & physically for surgery and my healthier life.  Chewing my food 30 times before swallowing (that's where  our taste buds are anyway). always having water with me to drink, and eating my protein first made post surgery reality far easier.  Measuring then posting what I was eating on myfitness pal helped me to get a grip on portion  sizes.  I wasn't concerned about my intake, but by mindfully eating ,15lbs. dropped off before the Optifast phase. All of us have overindulged before our journeys, so why not try something new?

alysan
on 6/24/13 1:35 am - Canada

I am still quite new to the process but find that I am trying to follow the Canada's Food Guide.  I eat every few hours (always have) because I am diabetic and it is tough because I have to watch the amount of carbs at one time but so far I have been successful.

I find if you don't eat every 3 hours then it is difficult to get all your foods in, in the day.   I gave up diet pop and coffee but I really wasn't a big drinker any way.  My problem has always been portion control. 

It is costly to eat healthy. Every week I buy something for myself. This week it was Becel margarine with 64% less fat; last week low fat mayo; another time a light salad dressing. 

I have managed to lose 12 lbs so far.

Good Luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics