Having to give up my favorite hobby

nadiras
on 7/18/13 5:23 am - Canada

I was going over all my nutrition stuff today and a thought occured to me, I have to give up my favorite hobby of cake decorating. I could resume after surgery of course. But the issues is I taste the flowers, icing and cake once in a while to ensure it tastes good. I dont eat the cakes anymore, found that since I have been making them for years I get tired of it. I found that by doing this is was a distraction from snacking on other stuff. Maybe I can find a way around this. I know my 3 yr old would not mind tasting everything but for quality I need to check it. 

Orientation May 2013, Surgeon( Dr.Lindsay) July 17, Rescheduled RN/NUT/ SW and got lucky with a cancellation July 18, Dr.Linsday 2nd appt Aug.19, Dr.Lindsay was overbooked switched to Dr.Starr on Oct.8, Surgery Dr.Starr Nov.8,2013

Dar_Mab
on 7/18/13 7:49 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

That would be a challenge.  Is there a close friend or family member you could utilize for the quality check?  I am not a baker so perhaps that is a dumb question.   

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Lorieliz
on 7/18/13 9:05 am - Canada

I never taste the stuff I bake, or cook for that matter. Something about eating it before it is served gives me the willies. I think you might find after surgery that your sweet tooth is way less active. Besides...pretty hard to make bad cake or icing, it's always good. Wait and see.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Patm
on 7/18/13 10:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I used to make cakes for a living until arthritis in my shoulders stopped me. I think you will need to decide what is more important. This hobby or your health. It will be pretty hard to do this without tasting. I know there was someone else who posted she finally gave into tasting.

I think you need to really think about this seriously.

nadiras
on 7/18/13 11:00 am - Canada

I can always ask my kids to help taste a few things. I will have to majorly cut down on the baking. I never really ate it, just baked and assembled. I find that because I have given up a lot of sweet stuff the cakes are too sweet for me. Thank you everyone for advice.

Orientation May 2013, Surgeon( Dr.Lindsay) July 17, Rescheduled RN/NUT/ SW and got lucky with a cancellation July 18, Dr.Linsday 2nd appt Aug.19, Dr.Lindsay was overbooked switched to Dr.Starr on Oct.8, Surgery Dr.Starr Nov.8,2013

Ingrid K.
on 7/18/13 2:13 pm - Canada
I also do cakes. I did a lot of fondant/gum paste cakes and I rarely ate the cakes. I have decided to only do them for my kids birthdays and special occasion family cakes. I am going to rely on my tested recipes so I don't have to taste and my husband to any new recipes. I am lucky though as I do not like those type of sweets. Ice cream and custards are my trigger so I won't do any of that. I won't even do whipped cream type frostings because those I really like. I am only a six weeks out and have done 3 cakes and haven't found a problem, but then again I am not eating normally yet anyway. If I find I am having a hard time I will have to explain to my extended family that it is too much for me and I won't be doing them anymore. That way I won't be insulting anyone because I am giving fair warning. I would be happy doing two awesome cakes a year for my kids and leaving it at that. Who knows, I may have to find a new hobby because my health definetly come first now!!!! Good luck to you my fellow caking friend
squidget
on 7/18/13 2:21 pm

You may not be able to tolerate any sugar post-surgery, or risk the dreaded dump.  It's not pleasant.  In fact, it's downright terrible.   I've experienced it from eating too much/quickly, but I don't dump from sugar.  But lots on here do.  You'll have to play it by ear ...

Most Active
Recent Topics