Have You Ever Come Close To Fainting/Passing Out?

jellyfishattack
on 8/15/13 10:41 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi Everyone,

I'm directing this question to all our post-ops.  Have you ever become really dizzy when you try to stand up from a chair or the floor, and have you even had you vision go partly to completely black and your head spin?  Would the best thing to do if this ever happens again be to drink a 1.5 scoop protein shake and sit down for a while?

I have had these distressing symptoms, but I think it has been on the days when I wasn't eating enough (skipping meals and substituting decaf coffee with milk or water flavoured with SF Da Vinci syrup), or the days which I didn't drink my 42g protein shake.  I find even 5 months out that I need a protein shake to get in 80g of good quality protein.

There are an awful lot of depressing things going on right now in my life, but I've reformed my eating habits and  now regardless, I faithfully drink that protein shake, and down all my supplements, and I don't skip meals.  I seem to feel a lot better, and haven't had near fainting/passing out spells.

By the way, my post-op blood work was normal except for a slightly low level of vitamin D, so my nut recommended I take 3,000 IU/day.

The chemotherapy one of my very close family members is for an inoperable skull base tumor & is always talking about making her will, and what do I want,, the extreme alcoholism of another, the ill health of another, the flooding of our basement (I'm still throwing things out), and the fact that our beloved Border Collie is almost 14 and is dying slowly has depressed me, caused the crappy eating habits I noted above, as well as my near total absence from this forum.  All the lifting of the junk from the basement (think almost a hoarding situation), and lifting and helping our dog get up and walk have had my back aching for 6 or 7 weeks. 

I appreciate the venue to vent a little bit!  I also appreciate any opinions you might have regarding my near fainting/blackout episodes.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Monica M.
on 8/15/13 10:46 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

Hey. I'm so sorry for al the things that you're going through right now. I hope things resolve for you.

How's your blood pressure? Make sure you're getting enough fluids. You've talked about your bloodwork, but not  your vital signs (heart rate, BP). Drop in to a shoppers drug mart and use their machine every once in a while.
Make sure you don't go directly from lying to standing, sit for a while first.

Check with your doctor.

jellyfishattack
on 8/15/13 10:50 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Thank you Monica M,

I hadn't thought about my BP and heart rate.  I know that they have both gone down, although my BP was considered normal before I have the operation.  My pulse was not - it was 105 - minimum prior to surgery, and is now about 72 at rest.

I'm sure I'm getting enough fluids - I'm always in the bathroom!

kellybelly333
on 8/15/13 10:57 pm - Toronto, Canada

It also might be time to test your sugars. I went from diabetic to hypoglycemic. As you are finding that it often happens when you don't get enough food in, that triggers me to ask about your sugars. Also, stress can cause a sugar low as well. How long ago was your post-op tests? I would do a fasting blood and blood pressure check with your GP.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

jellyfishattack
on 8/15/13 11:05 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi KellyNoBelly,

I never knew stress could cause low blood sugar!  My last post-op tests were done July 18th, of this Summer.

It's definitely a good idea to get checked out with our family doctor.  When I almost faint/pass out, I also get a heck of a headache, which doesn't last long, but always accompanies the feeling of fainting/passing out.

kellybelly333
on 8/15/13 11:19 pm - Toronto, Canada

Was it a fasting blood test? Also, the problem with blood sugars is that it is unpredictable. I try my best to eat every two hours to avoid the issue. Shopping, for some reason, always seems to trigger me. Maybe I'm happily-stressed and I lose track of time? 

Keep a protein bar handy. If you feel that way, and you can get half a protein bar in, and you feel better within a few minutes, this maybe your issue(of course, get everything checked out, I'm going by my experience only). I start to get confused and can literally walk around in circles trying to figure out what my task was. People say my eyes glaze over a bit, and I can get really angry too. I have fainted twice, but that was over a year ago when things started 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

jellyfishattack
on 8/15/13 11:34 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

It was a 12 hour fasting test - by the time I got to the lab and had the blood drawn, it was a 12 hour and 45 minute fasting test.

Shopping seems to do the same thing with me - basically being out of the house for too many hours and being distracted makes me forget to eat - even if I've brought a healthy snack with me.  Also, I do sometimes seem to do the same thing you do: walk around in circles, trying to remember why I went into a particular room.  My memory is normally good though.

I'm at the cottage now, so I'll have to wait until I get home to buy some protein bars - I can't remember how much protein, and how few carbs and sugar is supposed to be in each bar, so I'll have to look that up on the sheet the TWH gave me.

Thank you again,

Catw
on 8/15/13 11:41 pm - Arnprior, Canada

A lot of this sounds like blood pressure.  I would stand up suddenly and the room would spin.  And when working out, sometimes I would get vision issues as well.  Stopping until it passes helps, and also making sure that your fluids are up (if you are forgetting to eat, you may forget to drink as well, then catch up later).  Try checking your blood pressure (it is probably lower now).  If it continues, or gets worse, maybe talk to your clinic or gp.

Cathy

jellyfishattack
on 8/15/13 11:43 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Thank you Cathy, you gave me more good advice.  I will check my BP and see my MD if it doesn't stop.

Patm
on 8/15/13 11:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You apear to be dealing with your stress really well. You sure have a lot!

I now have low blood pressure. Standing up too fast will give me your symptoms. Also if I have sat with my feet elevated then stand up. There is a term for it but I have forgotten it. I have to make sure I lower my feet for a minute then stand up or by the time I reach the door I am blacking out.

You have been given some great ideas here. Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics