Not Quite Two Weeks Post Op and Gaining Weight?

Charlene Straus
on 9/29/13 1:33 am - Mississauga, Canada

Ok, I'm confused. I'm not eating, the scale is brand new, my insides have been tossed about and snipped and snapped and my scale says I'm up 5 lbs. What the heck is with that? I'm drinking between 1 and 2 litres of liquid (water, Protein water and broth) and ingesting between 60 and 70 grams of protein, each day. I say ingesting, because I'm not eating, unless you count the 1/4 cup of watered down oatmeal, sf/ff yogurt, 1/4 c ff cottage cheese and 1/4 c strained soup that I'm choking down, each day. I'm walking and yet I'm gaining? I am so totally confused. And tomorrow, it's back to work, for me! Who, in this world, did I so **** off?

Oct32013
on 9/29/13 1:37 am - Canada
Im eight days post op and i have been loseing very slowly. Then the last two days i have been up each day i dont get it either. I was loseing more on the optifast then i am now dosnt make sence to me
Charlene Straus
on 9/29/13 1:44 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thank goodness, I'm not the only one. This morning it showed a 5lb rise. uggggghhhhhh

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/13 2:14 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Stop weighing so much.  You have been pumped full of IV while in hospital and it can take weeks to have that get out of your system.  Liquids is not the greatest for losing weight especially if you consume a lot of broth or canned soups.  Just stay away from the scale, follow your plan and all be good.  Weigh again in a week and am sure it will all be gone.

Larbac66
on 9/29/13 2:17 am - Canada

Don't panic!! I am just over 3 mths post op. I didn't lose any weight for approx 3 wks after surgery, your body is surgery you are swollen from all the moving of parts and cutting and probing etc. plus all the IV fluid you received. Pretty soon you will see the scale star to go down!

joan

Patm
on 9/29/13 5:38 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Another thought is make sure you have not become constipated. Even with only liquids you need to be going

Charlene Straus
on 9/29/13 6:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

I picked up some coconut milk, today. I'm going but so very little. However, it would make a rabbit jealous, all the little round nuggets. I've been using a stool softener and sennekot, but it doesn't seem to be helping. 

Needanewbeginning
on 9/29/13 10:34 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Its true your body is really adjusting to the surgery and you will go up and down in the first few weeks. Be careful with coconut milk, its not on HRRH list of allowed fluids this early out and is higher in sugar/carbs than simple water. 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

BeckyJ58
on 9/29/13 6:44 am - Cobourg, Canada

As for the constipation..I have been adding 1 tbs bran buds to my yogurt as well as the stool softener.  It takes a couple of weeks, but it will work out.  My friend had surgery same day as me and she didn't lose a pound until 4 weeks after surgery.  You know what they say, when you dont eat your body stores it.  So true

Foy
on 9/29/13 11:57 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13
From week 2-4 I didn't lose and was up 2lbs. Yesterday it broke and I am back to losing. Just Just stay on plan and breathe.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics