Anyone develop Raynaud's Syndrome Post-Op?

teachren
on 3/16/14 8:10 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

I started having symptoms in about November 2013 about 6 months after my VSG surgery. A few fingers would go numb and then turn white. Now, often all the fingers on both hands eventually turn when I have an episode as do my toes. Brief exposure to cold (seriously...picking up meat from the meat counter at the grocery store) triggers an episode.

I have been to my GP and after some routine bloodwork he referred me to a rhuemethoid arthritis doctor in Owen Sound. He has confirmed I have Raynaud's but I am awaiting another battery of tests to determine whether or not it is just symptomatic of a more serious condition.

So..just wondering if anyone else has had this response since surgery besides just generally being cold often due to the lack of body fat. I don't know how thin people have done it all their lives! :-)

150 pounds gone for now! :-)  Initial goal weight of 170 lbs met on March 7, 2014.  My 44 year old bones survived hiking 4 days overland to a highest point of 4700 metres! Machu Picchu goal...CONQUERED!

gunnabehealthy
on 3/16/14 8:50 am

I have self diagnosed myself with this as well, has happened quite a few times since my surgery. I work at a hospital and it happened after a lunch break and the nurses told me all about it! I am one year post op. My surgeon said that it is not WLS related at all. But I wonder? If you don't mind, who did you see in Owen Sound? I live not far from there. Yes, it happens to me out of the blue in my fingers and toes.

teachren
on 3/16/14 9:18 am, edited 3/16/14 9:35 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

Yeah...weird right? I see Dr. Setty. He is quite efficient but speaks incredibly quickly. You are in and out. The referral process was simple and quite quick once my GP figured I needed further investigation. I have another appointment with him on April 10th to get the results of second round of testing.

What I do know about it is that it can be either Primary Raynaud's where you have the numbing and either white, red or blue fingers or toes but it's not that pronounced and appears to come with no other complications. Secondary Raynaud's is when the numbing is a symptom of some greater problem such as lupus, scleroderma, hepatitis or some cancers. Hence..all the freaking bloodwork.

For example, I am drinking a Nestea Zero (my "crack" as I like to call it) and two fingers on my left hand are starting to numb up from holding it to drink. I have to put the can down, rub my hand on my jeans to warm it up a little before I take another swig. If I don't, it will often result in a full blown episode. My husband tells me I should use a "beer skin" to insulate my hands..not the can!

Keep in touch and I'll let you know what else I find out.

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/14 9:27 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

My dad has been living with Raynaud's for almost 80 years. He has to wrap his hands around his hot cup of coffee when he goes out at the time of year as they are white and numb even with big heavy gloves on.  He was tested to make sure it was not the serious one and it's not.  Of course he's never had WLS but has been living with it forever.  He said you just learn to live with it and find ways to warm up when you get too cold.

teachren
on 3/16/14 9:34 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

Thanks for your reply. Oh ya...it is quite common. Especially in women. I have just learned what to do to get me through it for now. It's been quite uncomfortable this winter while I am out on yard duty at school. I've picked up those little hand warming packs but I think I may have to invest in some heated gloves I found on the internet for next winter! :-) I hope I'm as lucky as your Dad and I guess will just have to learn to live with it. Things could always be worse...I'm crossing my fingers they are not!

gunnabehealthy
on 3/16/14 10:43 am

That would be great! Keep me posted as to what doc has to tell you! I added you as a friend!

Most Active
Recent Topics