Opti Fast help awful

amerbert
on 4/1/14 2:19 pm

I find that it's better if it is a little watery rather than thick. As recommended above, add lots of water and lots of ice and shake it, baby, shake it! This is my 13th day on Opti. And believe it or not, you will start to look forward to your next shake! I've started to enjoy the taste of the vanilla (who would have thought?)! I guess that the body will crave any nutrition when it's in starvation mode :)

You can do it...one shake at a time!

bikinibound2014
on 4/1/14 10:48 pm

I found it sickly sweet and when I added sugarfree syrup it of course made it way worse.  I finally could tolerate (not like) it blended with a few ice cubes to make it cold, extra water to thin it out and 2 tbsp's cocoa powder to lessen the sweetness and make it more palatable.  Then I drank it as fast as I could and tried not to smell it. I also always added a couple spoons of benefiber powder to keep the BM's moving.

Good Luck! 

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

KerryF.
on 4/1/14 11:14 pm, edited 4/1/14 11:14 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I know every suggestion so far in this thread is suggesting ice and or very cold Opti Fast.......... however I drank everyone of mine as a nice hot chocolate and they were awesome.  (The TWH pre surgery binder has recipes for opti and one is as a hot chocolate with hot - not boiling water) ahhhhhhhhh I miss opti

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

sarag73
on 4/2/14 12:42 am

I am on day 1 of opti. I actually dont find the taste too bad, I bought the chocolate. I added more water than called for and I put banana extract in. Was actually quite tasty. Im hoping these 3 weeks fly by because i know the mental hunger will be the worst.

Good Luck!

2forsue
on 4/2/14 2:38 am

Hi Tina, I know how you feel!  The first time I tried Optifast, I too gagged on it and could only "tolerate" the chocolate.  What I did this time was add flavour shots (like Mio), just no citrus flavour shots, for me anyway.  Then I would blend it with a bunch of ice!  I tried to make it ahead of time once and for some reason, it's horrible after sitting for a couple of hours.  I never did that again.  Do you have a magic bullet or something similar?  Good luck.  It's hard, I know!  You are not alone!

Suzie 

Tina G.
on 4/3/14 6:03 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Thanks for understanding Sue. Yes I have a Magic Bullet. I just fill the bullet cup blend and guzzle. I just can't stand the smell or taste..Im just starting to tolerate the chocolate but I don't think I will ever like the vanilla

Thanks

semoreandsophie
on 4/2/14 11:13 pm - Plymouth, NC

Hi...I also think that Optisource is icky...but I have a solution for you...if you have access to a "The Vitamin Shoppe" or even Vitacost.com, get you a tub of Syntrax Nectar.  It comes in a variety of flavors (my favorite is Chocolate Truffle) and has no sugar whatsoever in it.  I had my RNY on March 21 and gave the optisource an honest shot but couldn't handle it...chock it up to lesson learned.

Good luck in your journey

Tina G.
on 4/3/14 5:32 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Thanks for your help but here in Ontario, Canada we can only have the Opti. We are allowed to have 2 cups a day of lettuce broccoli, green peppers and cucumbers as well as broth  and crystal light decaf coffee and tea all black. But thanks for the advice. How are you feeling? Hope to hear you are doing well.

2forsue
on 4/3/14 7:38 am

Hey Tina.  You were allowed two cups of veggies?  Lucky you!  I had Optifast only for three weeks! Hang in there, time will fly by!

Suzie 

lessofkelly_
on 4/3/14 12:02 am

I liked the opti!!!! would use really cold water and mix it in the magic bullet and then down it, could never sip it, it would get to thick my favourite was the vanilla!!!! good luck hope it gets better!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics