Opti Fast help awful

Arlio1207
on 4/1/14 8:20 am - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I too hated opti and had the trots. I added sugar free caramel syrup from Star bucks, they sell it right at the store and its only 9.95 for a big bottle. It was the only thing i could use to kill the taste. Or decaf coffee, anything really strong. I blended in the blender with ice....and 3/4 of water. Drink it fast dont let it get warm....chug it !!! then say to yourself....big picture !!!! Its almost over. I hope that helps. Good luck !!!

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

Needanewbeginning
on 4/1/14 8:25 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I made it through three weeks of only the vanilla one. I added one scoup of pure cocoa to it and out it in my magic bullit with half water and half ice. To me me was almost like the Wendy's frosty. I honestly gaged the first two days but after that smooth sailing.

you can do this! 

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Diane L.
on 4/2/14 10:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/18/13
On April 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM Pacific Time, Needanewbeginning wrote:

I made it through three weeks of only the vanilla one. I added one scoup of pure cocoa to it and out it in my magic bullit with half water and half ice. To me me was almost like the Wendy's frosty. I honestly gaged the first two days but after that smooth sailing.

you can do this! 

Annette 

Hi Annette

I did the same thing coco saved me big time.  I used two tablespoons of coco in the vanilla and one tablespoon in the chocolate with a ton of ice.  what I did first was mixed the Opti with 1/4 cup of water and about 4 ice cubes mixed it well with the magic bullet then I added the coco and more ice.  and mixed it again.  It was like a milk shake.  I wish I could still have it instead of the protein shakes. 

kimber291
on 4/1/14 8:37 am, edited 4/1/14 8:37 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I would mix mine up with about 6-7 ice cubes in my bullet. In the vanilla I would use orange pineapple banana crystal light. In the chocolate I would use decaf coffee or the crystal light. I would rather have the opti fast then the protein shakes. I could at least drink the opti. Also spent lots of time running to the washroom. The first 3 days were bad...lol

my surgeon is Dr Klein. I had my procedure done on the 11th of February. He is great!!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/1/14 8:43 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Optifast is vile.

I found that if you mix a little Crystal Light Lemonade into the vanilla, it helps to mask its nasty taste.  You can also add flavor extracts to change the flavor.  

Optifast Shake Recipes

Click on the link above for some recipes to help change the flavor.  Good luck.  I feel your pain.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Buddy13
on 4/1/14 8:50 am - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14

It's like sucking on a blackboard eraser.   As all of the replies have suggested, coco, any sugar free sweeteners, Lots and lots of slushy ice, DE-calf coffee.

The coffee seems to work best for me, along with some sweeteners added, lots of flavors to choose from different flavors. Stay positive, It's really short term when you think that you have the rest of your life to enjoy the rewards.

Tina G.
on 4/2/14 2:55 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi there, thanks for responding. I had to send u a reply as your post made me laugh so hard, I almost fell off my chair. "like sucking blackboard erasers" you couldn't have explained it any better. It really is. I am just adding water enough to blend the crap in the Magic bullet and then I chug like a 20 yr old at a kegger...LOL then within 20mins it's opti trots...SIGH TMI I know I'm sorry but I am just wore out from it...LOL

When was your surgery and where you from?

Patm
on 4/1/14 10:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I found the artificial sweeteners made my opti trots worse. I used instant coffee with both vanilla and chocolate. I managed 3 a day and had clear broth the rest of the time. I was told to add benefiber to slow th e trots. Worked a little. Others have used the sugar free metamucil

JJ_
on 4/1/14 10:40 am

I did 3 weeks of only chocolate flavour as I heard most people did not like the vanilla.  I also used 600 ml of cold water, but initially mixed it with a cold large Timmies decaf.  That cut the taste.  I would buy the decaf, put it in fridge and it was cold by the time I next had to make it.  I used about 5-6 ice cubes and voilà, had my drink.

In Ottawa, they have us take Metamucil CAPSULES with EACH Optifast.  That is to help with either Opti-trots or Opti-clog.  I was on 3 capsules with each drink (so 12 capsules a day), but my Opti-trots were so bad the APN moved me up to 5 capsules per drink.  It was so easy to swallow the capsules.

Good luck.

Judy

Kimmiekat
on 4/1/14 1:08 pm

I just finished day 8 on Opti. I've experimented a little and found the best for me is mixing instant coffee and ice and blending it in my Vitamix.  I can't stomach it unless it's blended with ice. I find I only need 3 a day, and have chicken broth 2 times a day. I also liked the vanilla with a teaspoon of sugar-free strawberry jello powder and a couple drops of banana extract crushed with ice. I haven't been physically hungry, but mentally it's been hell!! Good luck!

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

Most Active
Recent Topics