Fatty Liver!?

Corinne_49
on 4/2/14 10:32 am - Woodstock, Canada

Hi everyone....just a question....I just had my ultrasound on Monday. Got notice from my doctor today that I have a fatty liver. I have to reduce my fat intake, but alas, I don't know what I am eating to make my liver have fat deposits. I am a yogurt/fruit breakfast eater. I rarely use butter or mayo. (once /twice a week) I don't eat red meat. I eat chicken, turkey and fish. I love every vegetable there is, and eat fruit and salads regularly. I do however love salad dressings, so I have cut back on the dressings and try using just olive oil and balsamic. I do enjoy chocolate. It's one of my downfalls ! I drink socially very rarely. I don't smoke. Not sure what the heck I did wrong!! 

Not sure what causes a fatty liver. My hubby was shocked. He knows how I eat, so he was floored when I told him what the doctor said. He figures there's no hope for his liver lol.

Does this mean anything for my eventual surgery? Will I have to be on Opti longer because of it? Just wondered if this is going to slow down the process for me?

Thanks to all that reply!

Referral Request at doctor's  Oct. 29, 2013. Referral sent Nov. 01, 2013. Received Notice for Orientation Class Nov. 19, 2013.
Orientation Class  April 07, 2014 St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.
enlightened

kimber291
on 4/2/14 12:49 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I wouldn't be too concerned about it affecting you being approved for surgery. I had an ultrasound done in January to check for gall stones (which I did have) and when the report came back it said I had a moderately fatty liver. I had my surgery on February 11th. My family doctor said I guess it's as good thing your having the surgery when he seen the report. In addition to the RNY, I had my gallbladder removed at the same time. 

In regards to opti fast, it shouldn't matter either. The amount of weeks we are on it is based on our weight. I was on for 2 weeks. 

Good luck to you in your journey!

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

4-Jane
on 4/2/14 1:22 pm - Canada

Often a fatty liver is a result of obesity, and opti fast is designed to help shrink the liver. Most Centers require one week of opti fast for each 100 pounds so if you weigh 320 pounds you will likely be on the liquid diet for three weeks.  I ended up only doing it for two weeks but my liver was in good shape and they had an opening date they put me into.  I use to drink one cup of tea per day only, had never even tried a coffee.  I have never been a drinker, nor ate red meat.  For myself I think junk fast foods is what impacted my liver as it cleans the toxins from our body and processed food is not so good for us.  Try not to worry you should be fine just get your other tests done as soon as possible and read all you can

Respectfully Jane
NewMe2.0
on 4/2/14 1:47 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi.  I have an enlarged liver with fatty deposits around it.  I was told by my surgeon that this is quite common in obese people.  I am going through Guelph (where they tend to be a bit stricter with things), and am having to be on opti for 3 weeks, even though my current weight is 270lbs.  (I also have a newer surgeon, so I think he just wants to make sure my liver shrinks enough-- and I am fine with that...) 

This was also discovered during my pre requisite testing prior to my first set of appointments,  and it did not hinder my progress.

I think you will be fine,  Good Luck.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Corinne_49
on 4/2/14 9:15 pm - Woodstock, Canada

Thanks everyone. That eases my mind !  Whew !  So thankful for this forum and the wonderful people on it ! 

Referral Request at doctor's  Oct. 29, 2013. Referral sent Nov. 01, 2013. Received Notice for Orientation Class Nov. 19, 2013.
Orientation Class  April 07, 2014 St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.
enlightened

Nanato2
on 4/2/14 10:32 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Corinne

Most people that are obese have a fatty liver.

You have nothing to worry about this does not slow down the process at all .One of the reasons they put us on Opti before the surgery is to shrink our liver and the amount of time you are on Opti goes by your starting weight.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics