Sweets after surgery

TiffanyandCo
on 5/13/14 3:22 am - Canada

I have a big sweet tooth and I was wondering how difficult is it to have a sweet every now and than. I mean if it's my birthday can I realistically have a piece of cake or will I get sick? 

bikinibound2014
on 5/13/14 4:11 am

Everybody is different -- what you like today may not appeal to you after surgery

Also, some people dump after eating sweets but a lot of people don't (so you have to be very vigilant about falling into old habits)

Myself personally I have had a bite of a cupcake at Easter and a bite of a pie on Mother's Day (just a bite - not exaggerating).  I didn't have any dumping issues but I don't even know if I had enough to worry about that.  That being said I was very satisfied after just one bite and that was crazy to me because before RNY I would have eaten the bakery.

Can't be repeated enough though ... everybody is different

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

kellybelly333
on 5/13/14 4:47 am - Toronto, Canada

The words, "Slippery Slope" come to mind when I see a post asking about sugar. You may or may not dump, but the real matter here is getting back into habits you had prior to surgery. I have a new addiction to sugar (only really discovered three years after surgery). I was diligent for the longest time with sugar, and I actually can't tolerate a lot of it, and yet I will still have days where I just want it. And sometimes it's hard to stop. 

Everyone is different. Some people dump, some people don't. Some people do something in between. I can eat a bit cake,  but can't have full sugar liquid (like a frappuchino....Skinny or regular....they both have sugar). But if I want more, and I always want more, and I indulge, then I dump. Also, i'm the kind of dumper that it affects me an hour later. I can eat and feel fine, and then boom. Dump. I see a therapist to help me out with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I wish they had classes for everyone to learn before surgery. 

Anyhow, that's my little rant!

BTW - my sweet tooth is new. My love for potato chips is no longer. I can have a few and forget about having more. THat's like a little miracle to me!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

NorthernStar
on 5/13/14 5:37 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Great advice here. I am a dumper and anything sweet generally inspires fear in me, I hate feeling sick and vomiting. There's lots of alternatives. I've made different low-carb/low-sugar desserts and I like NSA chocolate pudding every now and then. Fresh local fruit (especially berries in the summer!) make an awesome dessert. I'm thinking about getting an ice cream maker to make frozen yogurt with Greek yogurt and fresh fruit. There's lots of options still.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/13/14 6:06 am, edited 5/13/14 8:54 am - Windsor, Canada

I know very few people that cannot handle a piece of cake past the first few years.   That said, if sweets are your nemesis I highly suggest putting them off as long as you can.  Worry about your goal first and foremost then relax and have the treats.  I've seen too many veer off course too early. 

I loved  going to parties  and claiming victory over cake by saying no.  I enjoyed the company instead of the food.  I always say start a new tradition like birthday purse or jewelry.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Laurie C.
on 5/13/14 6:37 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I have a yogurt ice cream maker and it is awesome.  (Cuisinart)  I make ice cream about 3 times a week.

I use 2 big source Exotic yogurts

2 scoops protein powder

small amount (1/4 cup) table cream

Sugar free Hershey's chocolate syrup--probably 1/3 cup

1/4 cup walnuts (add in last 5 minutes)

I mix this all up with a whisk , pour it in the ice cream maker and make ice cream.

Takes about 25 minutes, then I make single servings and freeze it.

You could use whatever flavours you wanted.  I'm a chocolate girl myself

Protein and calories would vary depending on your ingredients.  I don't eat sugar so this is good for me.

I make another flavour for my husband, usually cherry or peanut butter.

Love it.  

Ice cream maker was about $80.00 but well worth it.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

TiffanyandCo
on 5/13/14 6:51 am - Canada

I love the idea of an ice cream maker. I will definitely invest in that. Who knows my cravings for sweets might go away. Thanks everyone for the great advice. 

vsg_joanna
on 5/13/14 7:03 am

I have a HUGE sweet tooth too- had surgery about a month ago and what's funny is that between all the sweet protein shakes, yogurt, and protein bars... the last thing I want is more sweet! I know this will change, but I think for at least the next few months I won't have more than a bite or two of sweets because anything savory is sooo much more appealing!

But yes, you will be able to have a small piece of cake along with everyone =) I've had a bite or two of a doughnut.

TiffanyandCo
on 5/13/14 7:15 am - Canada

I just want to be able to enjoy a small piece of cake on my birthday or if I'm out with the girls at Timmy's I can eat 1 Tim bit. I'm not say thing that I'm going to stuff my face with chocolate goodness (that does sound good) but I do want to fit in.

vsg_joanna
on 5/13/14 7:26 am

I know that's what you meant! Just wanted to share how unappealing anything sweet is at this stage.

Most Active
Recent Topics