Newbie here - question about protein shakes and vitamins in powder form

Dreamy74
on 6/4/14 4:58 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello all!  I am a newbie and have just started the journey (May 28th orientation at Toronto Western Hospital) to seek out gastric bypass.  I have read through all of my materials and have read a lot of your posts (thank you for being here Ontario forum).  I want to try to do some of the things that will be required of me post-surgery and am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas about powdered vitamins and protein shakes.  I tried a "Vega" (Vegan) brand chocolate  protein shake on the weekend and it was vile.  I am guessing that I need to get a blender and blend with lots of ice.  Can anyone give me some recommendations of brands for protein shakes that I could try that taste good?  And also, if anyone knows of chewable tablets for vitamins it would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

~Dreamy74

Catw
on 6/4/14 5:18 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Dreamy,

Welcome to the board. 

A lot of the vitimin information you are looking for will be told at the orientation.  There are a couple chewables on the shelf at the drug store, but some are also starting to carry Bariatric Vitimins.  There are also places you can order them from.  I am far enough along I can take tablets.  Post WLS you will not be able to take anything time released.  Including vitamins.

As for protien shakes, a see a lot of people who like the Premier Protein Shakes from Costco.  I for one can't drink most protein shakes due to milk issues.  So I drink ones like the Peach Mango from Webber, or 4EverFit has non milk ones as well.  A lot of it is trial and error.  Some places like Popeyes and GNC (not sure which ones) will allow you to try a sample or to take it and if you don't like it return it.  Not all protein shakes are the same.  You will need one high in protein but low in carbs and sugars.  And everyone has a difference in preference and it is a lot of trial and error.  If you find one you like now, do not buy too much.  Your taste buds will change post WLS.  You will find things taste a lot different, could be sweeter or just different.  I know for a while, I had to mix Crystal Light with 1L or water instead of a bottle as it was really strong and really sweet.

One thing I would suggest you start doing before anything else is to start a journal.  What you would put in this journal is everything you eat (and how much), your activity during the day, your emotions, especially around when you eat, and anything else.  May be even dedicate 1 page a week to measurements and weight as of that day.  Doing this journal will show you where you are, then you can make small goals for yourself.  Such as if you see you don't drink much water, aim for 8 glasses a day, once you are able to do that for a few days, set another goal.  They are ment to be reachable in a short period.  Another goal for example would be, I can walk 4 blocks today, tomorrow I'll try for 5.  And when you are able to do 5, go for 6.  These may not be your goals, but I'm try to stress the point that you don't set goals that are unacheivable, like someone who doesn't walk much giving themselves 4 weeks to be able to run a marithon.

Track all your goals, no matter how small.  Getting to them is a real victory, at any stage of this process.

Cathy

Patm
on 6/4/14 5:31 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Catw gave you some good advise. Some people use the protein powders from the Bulk Barn. You can buy a small amount to try it.

I like iwindirect. You can order samples. Their cappuccino is not cheap but awesome for a treat. I am currently using Protein+ because I bought it cheap. I find it flavourless which is great if you want to add to things.

Good luck with your journey

Dreamy74
on 6/4/14 6:44 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello Cat and Pat thank you so much for your replies.  I really appreciate it.  (((((((HUGS)))))))

Jiliana2
on 6/5/14 3:02 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

We go to Popeye's and we can usually snag a taste of something to try at home, especially if they're not too busy.

My dietitian told me to look for 25+ grams of protein, low carb, low sugar. At the hospital in Ottawa, we were told to go with the Allmax Isoflex Whey Protein. I picked up a couple of those. I also brought the dietitian the labels from our preferred brand, Bio-X (a Canadian company) and she said those were good too. I love the Orange Creamsicle; with lots of ice, it tastes delicious! It's my breakfast every morning these days!

I got a blender (Magic Bullet) for my protein shakes and it's been doing a great job.

Chat to the folks at TWH and check out Popeye's if you can. They're fantastic!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Dreamy74
on 6/5/14 5:04 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thanks so much Jillian!  I will try the Allmax and that Creamsicle one sounds fantastic!!  Does it taste chalky at all?  Do you think an immersion blender would work?

Most Active
Recent Topics